Spalted Maple Jazz

Luke_L

Finally finished putting her together this morning still needs a good setup but already plays and sounds awesome.

Body:
Spalted Maple on Swamp Ash with tobacco burst finish with cream binding.

Hipshot Type - A bridge

Wizard Pickups Eighty-Fours Set

East U-Retro 01 Deluxe Preamp

Neck
20 Fret Goncalo Alves Neck and Fret broad with side dots only

Stainless Steel 6115 Frets

Hipshot Ultralite Tuners with D-extender

Hipshot 3 string Reatainer

PA020031-1.jpg

PA020027.jpg

PA020029.jpg

PA020028.jpg

PA020034.jpg

PA020035.jpg

Really pleased with how it's turned out.

Awesome!!! Serious GOTM contender!!!! Tell me what you think about the tone with the Goncalo neck!

Love the finish! This is one classey guitar. Well balanced look. Really nice vol/tone pots. Doubles? Switches? A SIngle? Whatcha doing in der?

Great work! Cheers :eek:ccasion14:

Cheers for the compliments.

Eric Banjitar said:
Love the finish! This is one classey guitar. Well balanced look. Really nice vol/tone pots. Doubles? Switches? A SIngle? Whatcha doing in der?

Great work! Cheers :eek:ccasion14:

I brought a pre-wired pre-amp, I can't be trusted with a soldering iron.

First stack (nearest the neck) is volume and blend. Second is Treble and bass boost cut, the treble is also a push-pull pot for a bright eq setting.  Third stack is mid boost cut and sets mid frequency for boost/ cut. The single knob at the rear is passive tone, works in active as well. The front switch is used in passive mode to select either the pickup blend or equal mix of both. And finally the last switch is used to swap between active and passive modes. Hell of a lot of settings to play around with. It was very cramped in control cavity when I got everything in to place.

As for the tone of Goncalo neck on this, I'm not really sure if I can say any useful comments, but... The tone from this is, really bass and mid heavy, even with the treble on the amp and pre-amp up it doesn't have a very bright tone that can easily get with my Warwick Corvettes. Also with bass boost turned up I thought the house was going to shake apart, there is a lot of low frequencies. One of the reasons decided not to get another Warwick at the moment was I finding them very muddy and difficult to get a decent clarity in low notes, there is absolute no problem with that on this bass, dropped tunings sound much cleaner and refined. I would say that it poesses some the "Warwick Growl" that is sought after by some (me included), I'd of liked to try a Wenge neck to see how it compares, but maybe some other time.  How much is from the neck or from the pickups I have no idea, It's the first time I've tried Wizard pickups, but I was recommended this set as they are designed to darker and more aggressive than tradition jazz sets which is ideal for me. Sorry for not being of much help and the useless descriptions.

I'm a sucker for spalted maple - fantastic looking bass.  Sound aside, how do you like playing the neck?  The "waxy" description has always made me not-so-interested in trying Goncalo Alves...

Corey P. said:
I'm a sucker for spalted maple - fantastic looking bass.  Sound aside, how do you like playing the neck?  The "waxy" description has always made me not-so-interested in trying Goncalo Alves...

The neck feels great. I never noticed it being waxy at all. It was slightly rough in places to being with, which was annoying me so attacked the back with some fine wire wool no issues at all now.

Back