Spalt Soloist (additional pics page 2, 9/14/2008)

DocNrock

Master Member
OK, so the spalt-top Soloist is done, sans set up.

The body is mahogany, with a spalted maple top, obviously.  The neck is also mahogany, with a reverse Jackson-style headstock.  The fingerboard is an ultimate choice jet black ebony.  The frets are 6100 and the inlays obviously sharkfins.  Believe it or not, the neck is bound in black.

The pups are Dimarzio throughout:  Norton bridge, Air Norton S middle, and Evo Neck in the neck slot.  The electronics are from RS.  The bridge is an OFR and the tuners are Gotohs.

body-6.jpg

head-7.jpg

backneck.jpg

bodyback.jpg

allfront.jpg

Gary, these pics seem a bit blurrier, but yet are sharper at the same time.

:headbang1:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
:party07:
Love the Spalt top!

Again, BEAUTIFUL Doc!

If you said that it came from Jackson Custom Shop, I'd believe it.  :headbang1:

Thanks, Fernando.  You must've been waiting for this.  I just got it up and didn't even have the chance to link it to the original thread.  Cool.

Blue313 said:
Again, BEAUTIFUL Doc!

If you said that it came from Jackson Custom Shop, I'd believe it.   :headbang1:

Thanks, Dan.  The only difference is that it would take Jackson's CS 1.5 to 2 years...and it would be a neck-thru.  Details details.  :toothy12:

Very nice! You are definitely consistent in your guitar preferences, doc! Classy wooded shred machines with OFR. How many more you planning or building?

tfarny said:
Very nice! You are definitely consistent in your guitar preferences, doc! Classy wooded shred machines with OFR. How many more you planning or building?

Thanks, Tfarny!  I have two more planned...a VIP and a V2.

And Shanejw...thank you, as well!

DocNrock said:

The body is mahogany, with a spalted maple top, obviously.  The neck is also mahogany, with a reverse Jackson-style headstock.  The fingerboard is an ultimate choice jet black ebony.  The frets are 6100 and the inlays obviously sharkfins.  Believe it or not, the neck is bound in black.

The pups are Dimarzio throughout:  Norton bridge, Air Norton S middle, and Evo Neck in the neck slot.  The electronics are from RS.  The bridge is an OFR and the tuners are Gotohs.

Thanx DOC fer the specs!
what is electronics from RS ?
I NEED a pic that shows off the neck binding pleez . . .if not on the thread ,shoot me personally , thanx

that axe is fer youngsters , I think yer too old to play that woodie.
it makes me a fan of spalted . . . to which I have not been since ! HOT
did you get that with the FR recessed route?

Cheers

Fantastic!!
seeing all the spalted maple lately is not good for me.. makes me want to add more projects to my wishlist :)

Marko said:
Fantastic!!
seeing all the spalted maple lately is not good for me.. makes me want to add more projects to my wishlist :)

Thanks Marko.  Everyone should have a spalt top something in their collection.  Hint, hint.   :icon_biggrin:

kreig said:
DocNrock said:

Thanx DOC fer the specs!
what is electronics from RS ?
I NEED a pic that shows off the neck binding pleez . . .if not on the thread ,shoot me personally , thanx

that axe is fer youngsters , I think yer too old to play that woodie.
it makes me a fan of spalted . . . to which I have not been since ! HOT
did you get that with the FR recessed route?

Cheers

Kreig, the pots and cap are from RS Guitarworks.  The Floyd route is recessed.  I'm taking off out of town today so I'll try to snap a couple of more pics of the binding tomorrow after I get home.

Too old...hah! 

Marko said:
Fantastic!!

Do I need to show you the Spalts top I've here in home to build guitars someday??  :evil4:
Have even one acrylized by Gallery Hardwoods (no need for bindings)
icon_twisted.gif

Per Kreig's request, more pictures:

Here is the body binding:

binding.jpg

I don't know if you can see the neck binding, but notice there are no tangs from the frets:

neckbind.jpg

Finally, here is a shot with the headstock.  The Warmoth logo (smoked chrome) doesn't show up well in any angle, but in person it is cool:

head-8.jpg

:headbang1:

Back