Soloist build

Howard

Hello,

First time builder, so needless to say first time for a lot of things the past days. Shellac, filing frets, using dye and whatnot. And lots more to come!

Ordered my first warmoth not long ago. After briefly visiting the page years back, it came to mind again when I was looking for another guitar.
I started picking woods, hardware and had a great time in the builder, until the prices dawned on me. I thought maybe I could finish it myself?

So I went exploring all over the intarwebz. After long nights of reading about oils, polys and laquer, I got comfortable with the idea. I thought hell yeah, cut the paint and was well under budget. Cant have that, so I started slapping on the goodies again and it started to look like something I should buy. It finally got the best of me and I took the plunge.

Got it the 20th and picked it up the same day, about an hour after it arrived.. Stalked that shipment! This is the progress so far.

/// Specs - both neck and body are unique choice \\\
- Body -
Indian Rosewood on Alder
Rear Rout
24 Fret Reposition
Controls: V-X-T-5
Bridge: Recessed Original Floyd Tremolo
Jack Rout: 3/4" (19mm) Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: 720 Mod
Standard 4 Bolt
Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour

- Neck -
Warhead
Warmoth Pro Construction
Roasted Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Ebony (Macassar)
Nut 1-11/16"
Standard thin
Fret Size: 6100
Tuner Ream: 13/32"
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 24
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: R4 Floyd Prep w/ Mounting Holes
Abalone Side Dots

Attachments

• IMAG0795.jpg
    IMAG0795.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0866.jpg
    IMAG0866.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0864.jpg
    IMAG0864.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0858.jpg
    IMAG0858.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0854.jpg
    IMAG0854.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0852.jpg
    IMAG0852.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0843.jpg
    IMAG0843.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0830.jpg
    IMAG0830.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0825.jpg
    IMAG0825.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0820.jpg
    IMAG0820.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0799.jpg
    IMAG0799.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 14
What happened to the pics ?

Looked good what I saw of it...

Edit..

Wierd now they are back ?

Welcome Howard, look forward to seeing the progress.

Thank you! I like the forum.  :glasses9:
I took the pics away for a brief moment just to resize and clean up the post.

Howard said:
Thank you! I like the forum.  :glasses9:
I took the pics away for a brief moment just to resize and clean up the post.

That explains it  :icon_thumright:

Really with his choice of woods, it wouldn't need anything cept maybe some tru oil  or something of the sort on the alder. Rest don't require a finish.. :dontknow:

Thank you everyone for the welcome and kind words.  :icon_thumright:
DangerousR6 said:
Really with his choice of woods, it wouldn't need anything cept maybe some tru oil  or something of the sort on the alder. Rest don't require a finish.. :dontknow:
I knew I had to seal the alder at least and wanted to stain it to bring it closer to the colour of the neck. After handling both the neck and body I noticed fingermarks were quick to appear. My hands sweat a good amount when playing so decided I needed to give it some protection, if only for peace of mind. I want this guitar to last me my lifetime without having to be overly cautious.
zebra said:
So how are you planning on finishing the body? 
Neck gets tru oil. Have two coats on. Also applied a coat of shellac to the top of the body and painted all the cavities using a brush, exept the neck pocket. I want to check the neck fit after the oil is on. After that I`ll give it a light touch with some 1200grit and start applying oil.

Had one of those "0mG what the h¤ :tard:% am I doing!?" moments yesterday. I have barely recovered.  :sad1:
I went medieval on the headstock... Even made a gouge! Ended well though.

Attachments

• IMAG0893.jpg
    IMAG0893.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0890.jpg
    IMAG0890.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0885.jpg
    IMAG0885.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0882.jpg
    IMAG0882.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0896.jpg
    IMAG0896.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0881.jpg
    IMAG0881.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0880.jpg
    IMAG0880.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 21
Things have been moving forward, slowly but with ok results and ofcourse some setbacks.
After the seal coats of shellac I gave it a polish to see how it would look all shiny  :laughing7:
Noticed a ton of little imperfections all over. I think its lint from the pad I made. There were also some holes I had overlooked while grainfilling. Sanded it back down and back at it. Got a nice surface at the end using shellac as a 2nd filler almost.

While waiting for the truoil to cure I soldered the covers on the pickups today. Roughed up the edges for the solder to stick properly and used a few drops of stearine inside the covers before I put the pickups in there, then clamped the suckers as tight as I dared while soldering. So thats done!

Got 4 coats of oil on the body and neck. Im considering leaving the neck with 4 and dull it down to a satin. We`ll see.
Sanded with 800grit and a dab of naptha between the 3rd and 4th coats. I think 800 is probably a bit too coarse, so ill move up to 1200 between the 6th and 7th. From there 1500grit between every third layer, then 50/50 tru oil/naptha and 2000grit for the finals, almost like Tom Pettingill does it. If I can get close to that kind of result ill more than happy.

Cant wait to get the finish done and start mounting the HW!  :hello2:

Attachments

• IMAG0897.jpg
    IMAG0897.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0900.jpg
    IMAG0900.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0912.jpg
    IMAG0912.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0920.jpg
    IMAG0920.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0928.jpg
    IMAG0928.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
ouch, I see some flaws. You should immediately pack it up and send it to me for proper waste disposal... :toothy12:

'Scuse me, Doug--Get in line....

Seriously beautiful pieces for this build...looking forward to the results!

Sh2's are great pup's had em in my SG, they were my go to for a long time.

That top looks great, you wood choices are primo, and I have never been a fan of gold anything on guitars, but I have a feeling this one will go on my list of exceptions, along side of Cagey's Green machine.

Although, if you ever have occasion to grab a Guitar Fetish VEH, it's the best $35 you'll ever spend,
I like em better than a Duncan JB.... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
ouch, I see some flaws. You should immediately pack it up and send it to me for proper waste disposal... :toothy12:
Yeah, I swear I would have when I noticed it. All the old locked up nintendo rage made its way to the surface..  :evil4:

@sixstringsamurai: Its all gold on this one, all exept the pickup rings. Brace yourself!  :laughing11: I might actually give one of those VEH`s a go on an old beat up squier fatstrat I have laying around instead of wasting tom anderson pups on it.

Back