Soloist build

Great Ape said:
'Scuse me, Doug--Get in line....

Seriously beautiful pieces for this build...looking forward to the results!
ahhhhh, 'scuse me, I noticed it was flawed first... :icon_jokercolor:

Wee bit of progress!  :glasses9:

One of the nuts for the tuners was too small, it wouldnt even begin to enter the threads, aswell as the washer being bent! Factory r0BarTs must have been drunk.
Not happy with that. Pressed the washer straight in a clamp, then reamed the nut after drilling it out. Left a few marks on the sides in the process. I emailed D'addario and they sent me a new nut and washer without question... Should`ve started with that email...  :laughing7:

Screws and threading went effortlessly with some stearin on the threads. Good snug fits all around. I dont like the swirley etchings on the back of the tuners, so Im thinking about sanding/filing them flat and spraying black. Im a bit worried its gonna flake after a while. Better get some good paint.

Shielding night tonight. Maybe I`ll mount the pickup rings aswell if im feeling bold!  :cool01:

Attachments

• IMAG0932.jpg
    IMAG0932.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0933.jpg
    IMAG0933.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0937.jpg
    IMAG0937.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0946.jpg
    IMAG0946.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG09312.jpg
    IMAG09312.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 13
Progress... too much progress. What now?!  :sad:
I do have an old fatstrat somewhere. Thats up for a makeover, whether it wants to or not. Think I`ve got the bug..

Project really picked up pace once the finish was on.. I could barely hang on!
The finish process really stretched my patience and gave me much more to chew than I thought it would. However Im pleased with the product keeping in mind its my first build.
Electronics and all worked straight away, intonation is spot on. So now its all about playing and taking care of it.

Attachments

• IMAG0982.jpg
    IMAG0982.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0990.jpg
    IMAG0990.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0969.jpg
    IMAG0969.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0964.jpg
    IMAG0964.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0957.jpg
    IMAG0957.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0996.jpg
    IMAG0996.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 71
Thank you for the kind words everyone.  :eek:ccasion14:
I`ve got some issues with it keeping in tune when using the whammy, as well as some slight buzzing on the low E.

Buzzing should be a breeze to fix, but the tuning is giving me a headache. My other original floyd fiddle can take massive divebomb abuse and the tuning is still acceptable. Checked the nut and the bridge-studs for movement aswell as the neck, but they`re rock solid. I opted for 3 springs as im running .010 gauge in Eb. Springs are nice and tight and the trem is flush.. Im a bit lost on where to start out for troubleshooting. Anyone?

First off, love it; it looks awesome!

Regarding the tuning, that's really surprising.  All of my Floyded guitars have totally stable tuning when dive-bombing.  You've looked at all the obvious trouble spots.  Stupid question on my part, but I have to ask.  Did you stretch the strings a few times before locking down the nut and fine tuning?

Always nice to see another Floyd around here!  :headbang1:

Show up to an awards show, just place that guitar on a stand on the red carpet, begin photographing.

That's drop dead gorgeous right there!

Thank you, kind sir.

I got the tuningissue out of the way. Think it was a combo of stretching strings and the pickups being close.
Thanks for the tip Doc!

Its a wrap.

I don't know if this is your first guitar with the Planet Waves Jack, but if it is, you're gonna love it.

No dropout whatsoever with that jack, and you never have to worry about it wiggling out either.

Yeah, first one with this kind of jack. AFAIK anyways..  :laughing7:  Its been working great so far.

Back