So annoying..American Idol fans

Lucky #7

Just out of curiosity I read a topic on a non-guitar board I frequent about the winner and was treated to blasphemy.  Apparently the runner up should have won and is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I listened to a few tracks on youtube and there is one problem: he's not that good in any way.  So I read on and get to some posts actually comparing this cat to Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant.  I've never laughed so hard in my life.  The best track I heard was a cover of Mad World which ain't exactly the most difficult song to sing.  The others were marginal at best.  It's always amusing to see people fawn over someone that just isn't that good.

Zombie conformists! Is what a great deal (not everyone) of people who have no association with music but listening to it are. They like whatever is played on the radio with a catchy tune or what is in the top of the charts.

That was a huge generalization, but it applies to some people.

I haven't followed it .. did see some of the trainwreck episodes in the beginning... they can be quite hilarious

a coworker sent me 2 clips of this runner up guy... 1 with Kiss, which was just ok and one of him singing whole lotta love. I was actually a little impressed with that one.

Lucky #007 said:
It's always amusing to see people fawn over someone that just isn't that good.

Just like last POTUS election.  Oh wait, they're still fawning.  :icon_biggrin:

Superlizard said:
Lucky #007 said:

Just like last POTUS election.   Oh wait, they're still fawning.  :icon_biggrin:

Let's head this one off at the pass right now.  There's NO need to throw politics into every thread. 

Wife is a big fan, I catch bits and pieces of it as I slave away at the computer, next to the TV...Runner up definitely had the better voice and the stage presence to be a cheesy pre-teen star. The winner was more like a lightweight Michael Bolton type with less personality, but he did play the guitar and piano so I give him that much. Both of them will be definitely get huge recording contracts and become richer than all of us put together, so it doesn't matter much who wins in the end.  Suffice to say that 'Idol' doesn't exactly cater to the virtuoso guitarist-loving crowd. It is interesting to see how several weeks of intensive stage management, makeup and wardrobe work, and voice coaching can make a difference for people.

Live and let live, it's just people making music right. Peace out, SL!

can't stand the idol franchise tbh however i did catch a glimpse of the black eyed peas performance ( thankfully didnt have to hear it just saw it) and those clothes were too die for...

Last season was the only one i watched.  I was actually rooting for the guy who won.. although I was hoping he was the runner up because he would've had a lot more freedom with his music.
still I like him... I might just buy his 2nd album... I'll pass on the first one though.

Pretty sure whatever label is behind it signs them all to a deal once they make the top 10 or whatever it is.

Superlizard said:
Lucky #007 said:

Just like last POTUS election.   Oh wait, they're still fawning.  :icon_biggrin:

Okay, I stopped reading here.  Why the hell do you have to drag politics into EVERY fudging THREAD?  I'm gone, someone email me when SL gets banned.  Bye

dbw said:
Okay, I stopped reading here.  Why the hell do you have to drag politics into EVERY frickING THREAD?  I'm gone, someone email me when SL gets banned.  Bye

Did I just hear the sound of a foot stomp & a temper tantrum?

See ya.

SL you are a complete troll but you don't realize it. They should have banned you months ago. My 2c.

tfarny said:
SL you are a complete troll but you don't realize it. They should have banned you months ago. My 2c.

Not my fault you and a handful of others here aren't mature enough to handle a differing opinion than your own.

And considering yours & dbw's posting record, you should both be careful with that ban talk.

Carry on...

Superlizard said:
tfarny said:

Not my fault you and a handful of others here aren't mature enough to handle a differing opinion than your own.

And considering yours & dbw's posting record, you should both be careful with that ban talk.

Carry on...
It's not the opinion, it's the dragging politics into tons of threads that didn't need it. A good debate is one thing, but completely dismissing everything else as wrong continuously kinda gets annoying.

Oh, I was surprised at the results. I didn't keep up with the show, but I rooted for Cook last year. Adam seemed like he had a much larger and more enthusiastic fan base, and more stage presence to me. His singing was a bit over-the-top for my tastes, though

they didnt even bait you on this one...a thread about american idol....a decent disscussion and you had to start the hatefull propaganda...

Brian

There are plenty of other forums that deal SPECIFICALLY with politics and religion. This is not the place for it. I asked a few weeks ago, in another thread and privately to the mods to incorporate an ignore function. Since we can't get that, some of you people just need to STFU. Argue the tonal variations of hardtails vs whammies...the visual appeal of burst vs solid colors....but STFU about religion and politics. Please.

Seriously SL, we're in generally the same region politically, but you don't have to drag into every single thread.  It's just not necessary.

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxRS_GyBbM[/noembed]

only decent outcome from american idol.

the only thing good about the show is watching the delusional freaks at the beginning. after that it becomes a cheese fest and I can't watch it. sometimes the girls are cute, which is really what music is all about anyway.  :laughing7:

btw - internet Tourette's syndrome can be treated. There is hope.  :laughing7:

You lot in the US should consider yourselves lucky, I bet you don't have as much of the talent show rubbish as the UK does, we get almost all of your shows imported over here on constant repetition on small digital channels in addition to all our own crap on the main channels. Thankfully I only watch TV for Formula 1 these days so I can avoid it. ;)

Us Aussies have our own version of Idol.

I usually try to avoid it if I can. I feel, IMHO, it's all about a prefab pop star. That is something I really detest, as I read years ago about all the rip offs that made only millions for the record companies and promoters with black soul singers, doo whop groups and even half decent pop singers. I had hoped that sort of selling your soul to get 'famous' had ceased but then along came Idol.

I don't think a lot of the winners, runners ups, or even finalists would see much money til they break away from the Idol Inc. contract. Then if they have the real talent and personality they will carry on with a reasonable professional career.

In Australia it's been hit and miss with the concept. A couple have really missed the mark as far as the public wanting to hear more of them once they won or were runner up in the contest, and the resulting depression and sad story has been good fodder for the magazines to use unfortunately.

The other day, I drove a couple of contestants to the latest Idol appointments on my bus.

The girls both looked similar, both had dark complexions, dark longish hair, bright eyes, clear skin. Maybe 17 - 21? Brought along their parents for support. Really didn't have the heart to be a spoil sport but wished to God I could have .....

Back