Small Hands!!! SRV Neck, 1 5/8, 7 1/4? With Pictures

joakimroos

Hi everyone.
New to this forum!

I currently have a 54 Anniversary Strat with an American Standard neck and 1.650 nut width (i guess) and 9.5 radius. I play with thumb over the neck mostly, but my hands are small so I have problems fretting bass notes with thumb on higher notes. From 7-9th and upwards.
Here's a pic: http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/joakimroos/?action=view&current=fvfgfg.jpg
As you can see, my thumb really don't reach that bass note and i'm stretching my whole hand. There's no pain but I cant go any further to reach that bass note with thumb.
Here's the backside of the neck when i'm fingering that chord: http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/joakimroos/?action=view&current=jajaja.jpg
It's not supertight, i could get a pen in there I think. Between the hand and the neck.

Now i'm wondering - what do you think about an SRV Neck with 1 5/8 Nut Width, 7 1/4 Radius and Narrow Jumbo Frets? Do you think it would fit my hand good?
The 7 1/4 Radius would help my finger come closer to the fretboard so to say.
And the Nut Width would narrow the neck down a bit I guess? Or is it only at the first few frets it is narrower?

Would the SRV Neck fit my hand or is it way to big? I was thinking with the 1 5/8 nut width it would help.
As the SRV Neck is asymetrical, is there more shoulder on the thumbside or on the otherside?

I would appreciate any help with this. Haven't had the oppurtunity to speak to Warmoth yet.

Thanks,
Joakim

Dude, just use your other 4 fingers!  I only use my thumb to mute strings.  My hands are big enough that I can easily mute the E and A strings.  But I've never felt a pressing need to fret a note with my thumb.... I guess I heard that Clapton does that but it seems pointless to me.  Maybe that's why I'm not Clapton.  :tard:

Hi Joakim and welcome.  I'd say if that's the way you play, then a SRV probably isn't going to be the ticket. If I remember correctly Warmoth's Standard Thin neck is pretty much the same as an American  Standard Fender neck, and the SRV is going to be a bit thicker, really more of an asymmetrical shape. You might want to consider the wizard contour....
srv.jpg
wizard.jpg

I use my thumb fairly often, but only in situations where that's the most comfortable way to chord. If you're forcing yourself to use your thumb high up the neck, and not getting good results, that's not 'good technique' and probably you should try to use 'thumb under' position more. Now to some extent, 'good technique' is 'whatever works well for you' but it's obvious that your current style isn't working out.
If your hands are little and you're having problems grabbing a neck, I wouldn't get SRV - that's a pretty thick neck actually. I would just go with 1 5/8 and standard thin.

neck widths become about the same the higher up the fretboard you go, so it may not matter high up like that.

Brian

The SRV contour is thicker on the bass side of the neck, but as others have said it gets thicker still as you move higher up the neck. Thicker than a Standard Thin or American fender. I would go with Standard thin. The smaller nut width and vintage radius though sound like they could work nicely for you!

I hope this will be helpful to you.  I also have very small hands so I took pictures of 6 necks at the 12th fret.  I think based on your comments I would suggest either a V or a 59 Roundback with a 1 5/8” nut. Of the two I would lean toward the 59 Round back and have the edges rolled by a competent guitar tech.

All of the necks have 1 5/8” nuts except the second one.  This is a Wolfgang, which is way to fat on the bass side of the neck.  
IMG_4286.jpg

This is 1 7/8" nut on a 59 Roundback. This is way to wide for my small hands.
IMG_4274.jpg

Here is a very comfortable 59 round back.  I think this is the neck that would meet your needs.  They have enough beef to get good tone and fit in my hand well.
IMG_4277.jpg

This is supposed to be a Boat but it came from Warmoth with a very distinct V shape.  I have used a true V and it even sharper than this one.  That might be an option for you.  You might try a Clapton Strat out at the Guitar Center and see if you like the feel of the neck, just make sure it is a 1 5/8 nut.
IMG_4271.jpg

This is my main Strat with a Boat.  Although I have to fight with a Boat a little the rewards are worth it because they and the Fatbacks are the most toneful necks.  Every guitar I have built with those 2 profiles is a tone monster with out exception.
IMG_4283.jpg

This is my Tele with a Boat.  Great tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_4280.jpg

what the heck chord are you (and I guess tonar) trying to play?  There's no way in hell my thumb is going that far around on the fret board. I think the best I can do is to thumb the F# on an open D major chord. But I rarely do that.

GoDrex said:
what the heck chord are you (and I guess tonar) trying to play?  There's no way in hell my thumb is going that far around on the fret board. I think the best I can do is to thumb the F# on an open D major chord. But I rarely do that.
Not sure what chord  he's trying to play, but i have seen a lot of guitar players use their thumbs. Hendrix, SRV, I've even seen Gilmour use his thumb.... :dontknow:

i have a very bad habit of throwing my thumb over the fretboard when im not even playing chords. its just comfortable for me.

Joakim is fretting a chord that is best left unplayed.  Tonar is not playing guitar at all, just holding them lovingly  :)

dbw said:
Joakim is fretting a chord that is best left unplayed.  Tonar is not playing guitar at all, just holding them lovingly  :)
He's a hand model.... :laughing11:

Thanks for all the help, i'm really grateful.
First I have to say, my hands aren't THAT small. I can do "Hendrix" style chords all over the neck (thumb on bass note).
I'm trying my fathers American Vintage 70's Strat now with U-Shape neck and 7 1/4 radius now. The neck also feel narrower, but it says it is 1.650 on Fender.com.
It has a slightly larger leck with a bit more shoulders. The thing is, It's easier for me to fret that C#9 chord on this neck.
I'd say it's the 7 1/4 Radius helping me out here.

Anyone ever played a Fender Hot Rod 62 Strat? Those necks are really big and chunky. How would the SRV be compared to that one?

nathana said:
The SRV contour is thicker on the bass side of the neck, but as others have said it gets thicker still as you move higher up the neck. Thicker than a Standard Thin or American fender. I would go with Standard thin. The smaller nut width and vintage radius though sound like they could work nicely for you!

Thanks for the answer, helped me out alot. Is the shoulder on the bass-side very thick?  I've seen the pictures on Warmoth but they don't help out alot. There's some space between my hand and neck so I could have a bit more meat to hold. It's my fingers that are small. Especially my thumb.

dbw said:
Dude, just use your other 4 fingers!  I only use my thumb to mute strings.  My hands are big enough that I can easily mute the E and A strings.  But I've never felt a pressing need to fret a note with my thumb.... I guess I heard that Clapton does that but it seems pointless to me.  Maybe that's why I'm not Clapton.  :tard:

Thanks for the answer. I play alot of Hendrix, SRV and Mayer stuff and some of the stuff they play are best to do with thumb over.
I've tried a Clapton Custom Shop a few times. It's nice to play as there arent much shoulders but i'm not sure if it's the right one for me.

DangerousR6 said:
Hi Joakim and welcome.  I'd say if that's the way you play, then a SRV probably isn't going to be the ticket. If I remember correctly Warmoth's Standard Thin neck is pretty much the same as an American  Standard Fender neck, and the SRV is going to be a bit thicker, really more of an asymmetrical shape. You might want to consider the wizard contour....
srv.jpg
wizard.jpg

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I'd say the Wizard is to small for me. My hand is already getting tired with Standard Fender Neck when playing lead for a long time.

GoDrex said:

It's a C#9 chord. Try it, love it  :)

Tonar8353 said:
I hope this will be helpful to you.  I also have very small hands so I took pictures of 6 necks at the 12th fret.  I think based on your comments I would suggest either a V or a 59 Roundback with a 1 5/8” nut. Of the two I would lean toward the 59 Round back and have the edges rolled by a competent guitar tech.

All of the necks have 1 5/8” nuts except the second one.  This is a Wolfgang, which is way to fat on the bass side of the neck. 
IMG_4286.jpg

This is 1 7/8" nut on a 59 Roundback. This is way to wide for my small hands.
IMG_4274.jpg

Here is a very comfortable 59 round back.  I think this is the neck that would meet your needs.  They have enough beef to get good tone and fit in my hand well.
IMG_4277.jpg

This is supposed to be a Boat but it came from Warmoth with a very distinct V shape.  I have used a true V and it even sharper than this one.  That might be an option for you.  You might try a Clapton Strat out at the Guitar Center and see if you like the feel of the neck, just make sure it is a 1 5/8 nut.
IMG_4271.jpg

This is my main Strat with a Boat.  Although I have to fight with a Boat a little the rewards are worth it because they and the Fatbacks are the most toneful necks.  Every guitar I have built with those 2 profiles is a tone monster with out exception.
IMG_4283.jpg

This is my Tele with a Boat.  Great tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_4280.jpg

Thanks man! And wow, that are some beautiful necks. All Custom Order?

This helped alot.
For me, it seems you can reach around very good with a Boat neck. Are you still relaxed in your hand when reaching that far? As it is more of a soft V-neck, maybe the SRV is still an option for me. Can you fret a C#9 chord like I do on my pictures with a huge chunky neck like the Boat?

Seems from Warmoths pictures the SRV have just a tad more shoulder on the bass side and on the treble side a bit less than the Boat-neck.

I also noticed you have 9.5 Radius or higher, which means it will be a bit easier with 7 1/4 too for me.

C#9 ....

is that C sharp 9

or C9?

if it's like this (bottom left) , there's absolutely no way I'd play that with my thumb. That's nutty to me.

c-dominant-9.gif

GoDrex said:
C#9 ....

is that C sharp 9

or C9?

That's C sharp 9
Sharp is shortened #
Flat is shortened b (Cb9)

Check out John Mayer playing Everyday I have the Blues. The main riff is played on a C9. His hands are huge!!!

It's a movable ninth chord with the root on the A string. Very good chord to know, it's a QD version of the 'hendrix chord'

Can you fret a C#9 chord like I do on my pictures with a huge chunky neck like the Boat?

Yes I can do that on the Boat.  I use 6100 frets on all my necks and that helps but you have to play with a soft touch or you push notes out of tune. Boats are amazing once you get use to them.

I had a guitar teacher that was teaching me all the different inversions of chords and I was whining about not being able to reach some of them.  I thought he was going to beat me up.  He insisted I could do them if I practiced and he was right, I just had to work real hard at it. I intentionally use huge intervals with the chords I play just to mess with people that are watching me play. Do I wish I had giant hands?  Yes!!  But I make due with what the good Lord gave me.

Tonar8353 said:
Can you fret a C#9 chord like I do on my pictures with a huge chunky neck like the Boat?

Yes I can do that on the Boat.  I use 6100 frets on all my necks and that helps but you have to play with a soft touch or you push notes out of tune. Boats are amazing once you get use to them.

I had a guitar teacher that was teaching me all the different inversions of chords and I was whining about not being able to reach some of them.  I thought he was going to beat me up.  He insisted I could do them if I practiced and he was right, I just had to work real hard at it. I intentionally use huge intervals with the chords I play just to mess with people that are watching me play. Do I wish I had giant hands?  Yes!!  But I make due with what the good Lord gave me.

Thanks man.
How big/small are your hands? Could you measure?

For me, it leans toward a SRV Neck with 7 1/4 Radius, 1 5/8 Nut Width and 6105 frets.
I'll have it finished but sand down the finish on the backside of the neck for that used feeling.
So, if I need to scale down the contour it won't be a problem.

I've spoken with Warmoth, and a guy named Eric there told me to try out a Vintage Tele with boat neck to compare.

GoDrex said:
C#9 ....

is that C sharp 9

or C9?

if it's like this (bottom left) , there's absolutely no way I'd play that with my thumb. That's nutty to me.

c-dominant-9.gif

Hmm I just wouldn't play that note at all... the bass player should have it covered.

Back