Slanted Singlecoil Pickups

JaySwear

i would love to see slanted single coil pickups. either cut into the pickguard or top routed. i called a few weeks ago to see about a top routed squier '51 body and was told that warmoth could do the HS pickup configuration, but not with the slanted single in the neck. i'd love to see this as an option! top routed would be amazing (like old Charvels) but just cut into a pickguard would be very cool too. i can just imagine a HS soloist with a slanted pickup in the neck now...

a few examples

Squier '51
P1264977.JPG

some old Charvels
Charvel_3DR.jpg

2861850613_653e518f5e.jpg

i can't see it being any more difficult than just programming a strat bridge pickup into the middle and neck positions. are there problems with this that i've overlooked? i don't know if the slant is as drastic as a strat's bridge pickup, but it's close if it's not the same.

+1.

But if you need a slanted pickup route, it wouldn't be much more expensive than Warmoth charges for custom pickup locations to just have a luthier route it for you.

If you're using a pickguard, can't you just just get it routed for a humbucker and slap a slanty single in the space?

That Squier looks great. I'll +1 this suggestion, though I'd prefer it to slant the other way (or to have that option at least), like on a Mosrite.

kboman said:
That Squier looks great. I'll +1 this suggestion, though I'd prefer it to slant the other way (or to have that option at least), like on a Mosrite.

I will +1 that, a humbucker in the bridge and a reverse slanted neck would make me happy, I would seriously consider taking that option, .......even nicer a reverse slanted neck and middle single coil with a humbucker in the bridge.... :icon_thumright:

here's another good one i found. thought this was really cool. i think this one's definitely a "love it or hate it"

_c603657_image_0.jpg

kboman said:

I'm with you brotha. I love my single's to go both ways.

But seriously, slanted with the bass side towards the bridge, you'd get an OOMPH-ier sound on the upper strings, wouldn't you?

if there is one thing I would love to do, its try some of the old charvels of the 80's. They just look like such beasts!  :party07:

Paul-less said:
kboman said:

But seriously, slanted with the bass side towards the bridge, you'd get an OOMPH-ier sound on the upper strings, wouldn't you?

That's what I've always thought. Str*t pickups never made sense to me - why angle them for MORE treble?!

I have to say I would jump on a second build if the option to slant the neck pickup was a choice - I've always liked the way the Robin Medley's with just 2 pickups look (not a fan of the V headstock mind you... )

343107713.jpg

It might be unrealistic to have more slanting options for the middle and neck pickups, but damn that would be a nice full(er) menu to choose from

i'm even more confused about this because i saw the other day you can have slanted singles in a mustang pickguard. ??? i would think if you could have the option for one pickguard you could have it for all

mustang.gif

kboman said:
Paul-less said:
kboman said:

That's what I've always thought. Str*t pickups never made sense to me - why angle them for MORE treble?!
I'm pretty sure it's angled for more bass. The treble side seems to be about where everybody puts their pickups. :guitarplayer2:

Back