Should Warmoth do a Carve Top Diamondback

I think it's a cool idea! But to be honest I would never play one - I gave up on guitars with top edge binding a couple of decades ago

It would definitely be a cool option to have. I know Gibson's done a couple pointy doublecuts that looked pretty good.
I think it's a cool idea! But to be honest I would never play one - I gave up on guitars with top edge binding a couple of decades ago
If you check the Gibson style, there's no binding. Shouldn't be a reason to need it unless there's some oddness to Warmoth's production that would require it.

I never knew such a thing existed. Did a little research and found the most hideous looking "pregnant" SGs I've ever seen! 😛

I can't see it happening.
Plus less prone to neck dive.

Because it has a nasty bulge on the top? Please, explain your reasoning.

I never knew such a thing existed. Did a little research and found the most hideous looking "pregnant" SGs I've ever seen! 😛

I can't see it happening.

Because it has a nasty bulge on the top? Please, explain your reasoning.
Yes, because of the extra body weight that a thicker body would add.

Kind of obvious, given that's how guitars have worked since physics was invented.(y)

Uhh yeah sure. So traditional SG's are thinner than the "standard" 1.75" but IIRC the Diamond back is the standard 1.75 thick and most of the other carved tops that warmoth's offered are also 1.75" thick so I think your snark is definitely off base here.

Nope, that's like trying to breed a Schnauzer with a Pekinese, the product may be lovable, but it will be ugly. That said, you never know till you try, but I wouldn't do it.

Yes, because of the extra body weight that a thicker body would add.

Kind of obvious, given that's how guitars have worked since physics was invented.(y)

The body weight has nothing to do with neck dive, in my experience. I don't own an SG (anymore) to measure the thickness, but I believe they are typically in the 1-3/8" range. My Diamondback measures a healthy 1-3/4" and is also slightly larger overall than an SG. That extra 3/8" should add a bit to the weight, I guess. The body wood will obviously vary in weight, as well. Mine is a fairly heavy alder and dives like crazy. Possibly due to my choice of strap button location. But, it's too late to change it now. I probably won't be playing this guitar standing up with a strap much, if ever, so it's not a major concern. Anyway, I still think the "pregnant" SG is one of the silliest things I have ever seen 😁 .

Attachments

• DB Body Back.jpg
    DB Body Back.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 7
Uhh yeah sure. So traditional SG's are thinner than the "standard" 1.75" but IIRC the Diamond back is the standard 1.75 thick and most of the other carved tops that warmoth's offered are also 1.75" thick so I think your snark is definitely off base here.
Snark is always warranted. It's what makes the world go 'round.
Who said anything about maintaining a 1.75" thickness on a carved top? Is a Les Paul 1.75" thick? No. You add the thickness to the top, increasing body weight, shifting the center of mass further rearward in the process. Just because Gibson did it the stupid way doesn't mean someone else has to. :ROFLMAO:
The body weight has nothing to do with neck dive, in my experience. I don't own an SG (anymore) to measure the thickness, but I believe they are typically in the 1-3/8" range. My Diamondback measures a healthy 1-3/4" and is also slightly larger overall than an SG. That extra 3/8" should add a bit to the weight, I guess. The body wood will obviously vary in weight, as well. Mine is a fairly heavy alder and dives like crazy. Possibly due to my choice of strap button location. But, it's too late to change it now. I probably won't be playing this guitar standing up with a strap much, if ever, so it's not a major concern. Anyway, I still think the "pregnant" SG is one of the silliest things I have ever seen 😁 .
That strap button placement is absolutely the problem on yours, but it would in fact be fixed by slapping more weight on the body (or using lighter tuners if that's an option). That's how balance works. If you have more weight behind the fulcrum point it tips the scale towards that side. The further away from the fulcrum point you are the less additional mass you need.

It's all a balancing act. Nothing magic.

And yeah, Gibson's carve is putrid. Most of their design choices are crap, if we're being honest.

Back