Baritone guitars

rauchman

Greetings,

I'm always exploring different guitar based options for a build.

Came across something on baritone guitars recently. Where do you see baritone guitars fitting in? Does one use a baritone as a guitar alternate, or something specific to the baritone?

From a build perspective, I see a lot baritone Tele's. I would think neck dive would be a problem, as well as the lower frets being waaaaaaaaay out there? Is there a Warmoth body shape that is preferred for a baritone build?

I did a baritone with the hybrid strat body (tele-fied strat) and I'm loving it. No neck dive, tons of fun to play. One thing I recommend with a baritone is bright-ish/not-too-fat sounding pickups, or in my case I put a bass cut control to tighten up the humbuckers.

72243522-D36D-4DD3-881D-54E85C14816E copy.jpeg

I have done 2 baritone teles with the Warmoth 28-5/8" conversion neck and I find them just to neck heavy.

I have done 2 different baritone teles using the Fender Sub-Sonic 27" scale necks and those hang much better but still need lighter tuners to combat neck dive.

I have a 27" scale Strat type in progress using the fender 27" scale neck and I just based on my dry fit it hangs much better.

to answer your question about what to use them for, I have used them In B-B tuning and C-C tuning to provide a different texture in blues and rock performances and recordings.

I have also used them in B-B and Drop A for metal.

I have wanted to build a 28" scale 7 string for tuning F#-B because I like playing low but I cannot get my mits to play an 8 string at all 🤣

My baritone Tele never had a neck dive issue, despite having a very very light body in the 3 lb range. No worries at all. I think Teles lend themselves well to Baritones as single coil voicings retain so much tightness to the low end, and nothing twangs like a Tele, but a BariTele adds so much more to it.

Back