Should I put a Bigsby on my Tele?

After having a closer look at the Vibramate I'm not convinced it would require any neck shimming.

It seems the Bigsby would sit slightly higher since it's on top of the Vibramate, but it looks like you'd use the same style bridge/saddles whether you install directly or use the Vibramate. Or am I missing something?

I'm also curious how Vibramate's "string spoiler" (https://vibramateshop.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188) compares to Callaham's "string shaft" (https://www.callahamguitars.com/bigsby_bridge_mainstringshaft_catalog.htm) which both try to accomplish the same thing.

Sadly, I could not tell you. I just have experience with the Callaham parts.

Well keep in mind, Callaham’s part only works on US Bigsby. Not licensed or import. So yes for a B5, no for a B50 and the likes. Also as memory serves , it will not work without modifications on a F branded Bigsby.

I would prefer the Callaham part to the Spoiler. The Spoiler hooks onto your pins and provides an easier attachment of your stings. I have not used 1 yet, but will soon as I have a F branded Bigsby on 1 guitar.

No experience with the Vibramate for Tele.

Last edited:
Well keep in mind, Callaham’s part only works on US Bigsby. ... . Also as memory serves , it will not work without modifications on a F branded Bigsby.
Fortunately, this is not true. Both Callaham parts work perfectly with the F-branded Bigsby on my guitar

Well that’s excellent news. I recall some years ago someone here posted that the diameter was different, but I couldn’t find the post.
I’d much prefer to use the Callaham part.

The Spoiler is not part of the native part, its an add on. Plus. The Callaham shaft is also much smoother in operation than the factory.

While Callaham can be viewed as pricey, they make quality stuff.

Ok cool - I'll go with Callaham. I was only worried that the angle of the string coming out of that shaft would be so steep as to possible cause string breakage. But I guess the strings are also much stronger at the ball end.

@Spud I think I'm going to try the Vibramate. I don't think any neck shimming is necessary. Might be worth considering before drilling into that beauty...

Ok cool - I'll go with Callaham. I was only worried that the angle of the string coming out of that shaft would be so steep as to possible cause string breakage. But I guess the strings are also much stronger at the ball end.
Yes, there is some wrap there that helps with durability. Haven't had one break yet, but YMMV and all that.

You always wanna be careful with your shaft. "I am here all week, try the veal".-Tburststd

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I just noticed a difference between the B5 Fender and the regular B5: The B5 has one of the fixing screws located ahead of the spring on a little 'nub' that sticks out towards the bridge. The B5 Fender does not have this; rather that screw is hidden under the spring; the little 'nub' is not there. Worth noting if you don't think you've got room for that little nub on your telecaster. Also note that the other hole locations appear to be different as well, which may affect which vibramate you order.

Bigsby-B5-Fender-Vibrato-Kit.jpg
fender-kit-puente-vibrato-bigsby-b5.jpg

well I already ordered the real B5 and matching Vibramate, so let's hope it fits. (It must, right?)

Hey! I just noticed a difference between the B5 Fender and the regular B5: The B5 has one of the fixing screws located ahead of the spring on a little 'nub' that sticks out towards the bridge. The B5 Fender does not have this; rather that screw is hidden under the spring; the little 'nub' is not there. Worth noting if you don't think you've got room for that little nub on your telecaster. Also note that the other hole locations appear to be different as well, which may affect which vibramate you order.

View attachment 58691
View attachment 58692

There is more to it than the nub.

The F-logo Bigsby is actually longer, with both rollers moved forward. It is a much tighter fit between the tail and bridge than a B5 and puts the roller much closer to the bridge.
imageuploadedbytdpri1394065184-409682-jpg.223312

batch-upload_2ecd959d-eae4-4e9e-8298-2f7a3f37d8ea.jpg

The B5 is more compact and can placed further back from the bridge for a less severe break angle.
squiretelewithbigsbybodycloseup.jpg

Although the Vibramate has to move it further forward for the apparatus.
51RzKSAYs9L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:
Back