Serious Quality Issues with Warmoth String Trees (I think)

Good to hear you had a good time in Greece. Funnily enough I never visited the mainland but have been to several of the Dodecanese Islands, though decades ago now.

Mayfly said:
Hey!  I forgot about the brass tubing trick!  You take some brass tubing that just fits over the screw threads, cut a notch on the end with a file, then use that in a hand drill in the spot where the broken off screw is.  Takes it right out. 

Then you gotta fill and re-drill.

I forgot about that trick, but it would require making a wenge dowel/plug to fill to really do the job well. Since Alex plans on hiding the screw, it may do just as well to leave it for now.

For those who are curious, there are some illustrations here...
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/help-me-guys-i-screwed-up-broken-screw-extraction.350473/

im a little slow or as momma used to say,  special,  but wouldnt cutting out a plug require you to drill all the way thru the wood with the screw in it?  leaving a hole on both sides.

I forgot to say that you spin the tube in reverse, which helps unscrew the stuck screw.  The tube shape keeps it centred on the screw and in my perfect world* the screw just comes out.

* where there are unicorns and pink bunnies and stuff...

I've been known to attend parties with pink bunnies and / or unicorns, or similar hallucinations. .. well not since pandemic 😤

If I were local to you Alex, we could buy a ccw twist end mill and drop that wenge in a Bridgeport to remove your problem screw. I don't suppose you know anyone with a full machine shop.

Attachments

• c655FTkR7zrV.gif
    c655FTkR7zrV.gif
    214.1 KB · Views: 42
teleme01 said:
im a little slow or as momma used to say,  special,  but wouldnt cutting out a plug require you to drill all the way thru the wood with the screw in it?  leaving a hole on both sides.

You just go in as far as the screw, the wood was already mostly removed/damaged by the pilot hole and screw. And, as Mayfly noted, the screw will start to turn out from the reverse spin.

Sadie-f said:
I've been known to attend parties with pink bunnies and / or unicorns, or similar hallucinations. .. well not since pandemic 😤

If I were local to you Alex, we could buy a ccw twist end mill and drop that wenge in a Bridgeport to remove your problem screw. I don't suppose you know anyone with a full machine shop.

haha while this would be fun, it'd be an overkill. I might just leave the screw in and put the new string right next to it.

Back