Selling The Guitars You've Built

Watershed said:
line6man said:
tfarny said:
huh? Tons of companies spec their stuff from Warmoth, and you have a problem with a small time assembler / finisher doing it as a hobby?

You don't think it's a tad ridiculous to start a business assembling another companies parts and selling them as your own?

Seriously, why can't everyone just buy the parts themselves and take them to a local luthier for assembly and finish work?

Worked for Kramer in the 80's.
And they sold A LOT of guitars back then.

ASSEMBLED in the USA.

Don't forget Valley Arts and some Yamahas, as well as some builders in this forum.

Death by Uberschall said:
It's all about marketing yourself.

Spec and purchase a guitar that would be pretty easy to sell (Strat, Soloist, VIP, Tele) using common woods, colors and options. Yes, make it a normal run of the mill guitar. Build it, set it up and post it on ebay with a copy of the invoice from Warmoth and any other supplier of parts (pups, knobs, etc.) if not Warmoth, with the order & shipping/delivery dates. Sell it for the invoice amount on a "buy it now" with no ability for it to sell any higher than that and use your skills of assembly as the reason to buy the guitar for the cost of the parts. Maybe take a slight hit on the first guitars you build to get some positive feedback posted by buyers. Once your reputation starts looking good, people will take notice and start trusting your skills. Also offer a money back guarantee for up to 3 days after delivery, minus shipping cost.

If you sell them for cost or less, there is no profit and that makes it a hobby, which is not taxable by the IRS. In fact, if you keep good records, you might be able to claim a business loss on your taxes and get some credit.
Best advice out of all of the responses to this thread!  :headbang:

part of it is the ability to set yourself apart, I have had a few people approach me about doing custom builds after seeing the artwork I did for my strat and sg style bass (and hearing how good they sound compared to factory direct options), though none have actually followed through JUST yet.

Back