Second Wave of Designs? (More Question than Suggestion)

SabrePanzer

I know this seems slightly more like a question rather than a suggestion, but I'm honestly extremely curious-slash-impatient about the other Gibson-based designs that were supposedly being redesigned for re-release *coughnomadcough*, but so far there hasn't been any word on them.

So, I kinda made this post as a little bit of an inquiry to the progress status of these redesigns, as well as suggestions should there be a need to find ways to avoid the ol' suits at Gibson.

One way: Incorporate an Ibanez Destroyer-like scallop in the rearward area of the guitar body, as the most obvious way to differentiate the design from the Explorer shapes. You could also add a "lump" on the lower horn, too, if need be.

Another guitar I would LOVE to see come back (even though it, I'm assuming, wasn't as popular as the Explorer) is the Firebird-style guitar. One way to get a Firebird shape without ol' Gibby swingin' the hammer down would be pretty much the same way. Look up the ESP Cygnus. The shape would pretty much be similar to that, except with a less radical scallop in the rear.

Past those, I'm just wondering why there's a lack of Nomads in the Showcase, much less the ability to order them otherwise, even though it's been... I think well over a year now since the threat of lawsuit? Not sure...

Explorers and Firebirds didn't sell all that well when Gibson was making them, and I suspect Warmoth only made them to flesh out the width and depth of their offerings for those few who might want one of those designs but were unwilling to suffer Gibson's usurious pricing policies.

It's economics 101. Supply and demand, coupled to some degree with pragmatism/practicality. If Warmoth was getting a lot of requests for Firebirds, you can bet they'd notch/carve/route the design in such a way as to neutralize the idiots at Gibson. The fact that they haven't says nobody's asking for them. No demand, so no supply.

There aren't any immediate plans to release any new body styles. The closest to release is the Nomad body, but it may be a ways off yet. The main hold-up is testing it for compatibility with the myriad options Warmoth offers. We thought we were close, but some incompatibilities were found that required more R&D. Of course, all along the way other projects come up that take precedence. We have many plates spinning on sticks all the time. No different than any other design/manufacturing facility, I guess. A year passes like the blink of an eye.

Back