Seattle, WA area

Is this for a customer, or are you building it on spec?

this one is being built on spec, with a repeat client having first dibs on it. I'll know if it's sold once I send him a front/back image of this finished body together with the neck set into place. if he chooses not to say 'sold', then there's a good possibility this may be my first bass on display at BassNW (unless it sells before I have it totally assembled and set-up)

I also have a couple other M-Series 5's being built on spec together with this one

all the best,

R

Well, I'd certainly never wish a "no sale" on you, but the value of a piece like that at the show would be high, too.

I cleaned up the neck pocket this afternoon, and set the neck in place for a quick photo shoot. my digi camera is really struggling to capture the Redwood hues correctly. the closest to reality is this first image

RM10503_PaintBodyAndNeck_Front.jpg

RM10503_PaintBodyAndNeck_Back.jpg

RM10503_PaintBodyAndNeck_BodyFront.jpg

RM10503_PaintBodyAndNeck_GutCut.jpg

I'll be firing up the CNC for it's first test cuts on a new body design this next week, so further work on this bass is temporarily on hold.

all the best,

R

I'm writing bass parts for the band's summer studio sessions, and thought I'd share a very rough capture of what I'll be laying down as part of a 13/8 instrumental break in one tune

Details:
- bass used: Regenerate M-Series 4-string (the Koa/Mahogany with Mahogany / Pau Ferro one) loaded with Nordy Big Singles and 2-band preamp
- settings: pickups in three different conditions as noted on clip (bridge solo, blended, neck solo)
- preamp on, passive tone full on, active tone set flat
- signal direct into a Tascam DR-05
- other: one take, no metronome reference, no file manipulations, just finger style played over the neck pickup

these are my first ever recordings made with the DR-05 I bought last night. I have spent a total of five minutes with this device, and simply used the factory defaults to get these clips recorded this morning. I'm also sure if I had taken the time to warm up I'd have captured a significantly better take in each case, but then the purpose of this was simply to get you a chance to hear one of my basses in the raw as played by an average player who hasn't even finished his first morning cup of coffee

all the best,

R

Attachments

• MSeries_4String_RM11403_BridgePickupSolo_13-8Riff_1.mp3
    777.5 KB
  • MSeries_4String_RM11403_PickupsEven_13-8Riff_1.mp3
    767.1 KB
  • MSeries_4String_RM11403_NeckPickupSolo_13-8Riff.mp3
    795.1 KB
Wow. Ok. Where do I sign?

That sounded great! If that's you before coffee, cigarettes and toots, it would be interesting to hear what you do when you're on top of your game. Nice timing, articulation, composition and tone. What's left? You don't play hillbilly music, do you? Because that's not allowed <grin>

I had a couple free minutes this evening to make a couple quick clips on one of my M-Series 5-strings (Swamp Ash body with Maple top, Maple / Pau Ferro fretboard)

Details are pretty much the same as the 4-string track:
- bass used: M-Series 5-string loaded with Nordy Big Singles and 2-band preamp
- settings: pickups in three different conditions as noted on clip (bridge solo, blended, neck solo)
- preamp on, passive tone full on, active tone set flat
- signal direct into a Tascam DR-05
- other: one take, no file manipulations, no metronome reference, finger style played over the neck pickup

all the best,

R

Attachments

• MSeries_5String_RM11501_NeckPickupSolo_13-8Riff.mp3
    498.7 KB
  • MSeries_5String_RM11501_PickupBlended_13-8Riff.mp3
    476.3 KB
  • MSeries_5String_RM11501_BridgePickupSolo_13-8Riff.mp3
    495.8 KB
Good job. I actually put on my Sennheisers for this so I could hear it through the headphone amp. I usually only do that for The Norwegian Guy <grin>

The neck and "blended" outputs sound fantastic. Especially the "blended" one. Very full, while still articulate and precise. The neck pickup sounds good, but it's just a bass there, albeit a widely useful one. You could put that in the background of damn near anything and it would be good.

The bridge pickup you can keep. It sounded "blatty", although it may not be the pickup's fault. The distortion sounded like clipping, which is never pleasant, but could be a result of the the mic/amp/level adjust. It was a bit too abrupt and edgy, like you sometimes hear from digital overdrive. Sounds like something's broken when it's not. Maybe backed off a hair, it would approach a Ricky sound. I'd wager it sounds better in real life.

I'll agree with ya that the bridge solo is a bit harsh in that recording, and some of it may be that I was sittin down for that take so my fingers are at an angle that's different from how I normally play. I'll have to re-cut a take later this week

I had another little break time and got the idea that it'd be interesting to lay down a track with my trusty ol' P-bass so there's a common reference point for how these M-Series clips sound. the P was recorded in the same fashion - everything wide open, finger style, no manipulation or effects, etc ... please pardon my sloppiness, it was a first and only take without benefit of any practice runs)

I should also note the the Fender rounds on this P are multiple years old and absolutely slay engineers and tracks in the studios I've had opportunity to record it in. I almost hesitate to bring it to some sessions because I know that no matter how great any other bass I brings sounds in the track mix, the engineer is going to see my P and demand it be the one we use (except for songs requiring a low E-flat, D, D-flat, C, or B where I refuse to restring the P to accommodate)

all the best,

R

Attachments

• ReferenceClip_OldPbassWideOpen.mp3
    537.3 KB
I went back and listened to the M-series clips several more times, and I may have been a bit hasty in my original judgement. I still think those clips may have been recorded a bit hot, but that's not the end of the world. I certainly wouldn't put it on your playing. That bridge pickup is just extra hot, that's all.

The P-bass? Fuhgeddaboudit. I don't care if it's old home week for you on that thing, it's just mush. The M series has it all over that thing. Unless you were pushing 80 bajillion watts through a wall of SROs, that P bass would get lost in any mix. Be like a refrigerator running in the background. You'd know it was there, but there's no definition to it. It's just an aggravating rumble.

I brought the recording volume down some on this take, it's part of a melodic tapping song currently being written for elec bass, upright played arco (bowed), and percussion. for our band to do this live, I'll need to have the keyboardist play the arco parts since I can't tap and bow at the same time

Details: M-Series 4-string direct into the DR-05, blend in center position (pickups even), passive tone wide open, no active tone shaping, no processing/effects/etc ...

I think I need to play with the sample rate, as I hear harmonic distortion in the high-end that isn't on my bass when I play direct to a hi-fi bass amp. if it's not the sample rate, then maybe it's the recording unit itself. I'll have to record with the built-in mics to see if it's still there

all the best,

R

Attachments

• MSeries_4String_RM11403_PickupsEven_TappingMelody_1.mp3
    436.7 KB
the monster .... IT LIVES!!!!!    :blob7:

RGW_CNC_AlmostReadyToPowerUp_2.jpg

RGW_CNC_ItsAlive.jpg

my current config = Rhino CAD 4.0 + MecSoft FreeMILL + Mach3

I'll eventually migrate to the RhinoCAM plug-in for VisualMill 6.0 when I can afford it

all the best,

R

NIfty.  You advanced tool-using primates have my admiration.

Separately:  What kinda lumber is involved in those pink bodies?

Bagman

Very nice. Sky's the limit with that kind of thing.

You know how routers throw wood, though. You're going to need some kind of cover for that keyboard. These things are pretty reasonable...

cover_keyboard.jpg

And maybe something to throw over that computer. Otherwise, I can't imagine either are going to work for very long.

Separately:  What kinda lumber is involved in those pink bodies?

those are proofing bodies. you can use that pink foam insulation as an initial test material to quickly/cheaply validate the part design and tool paths, and then move on to a less expensive wood once you're happy with the initial results. you definitely will have a mess from all that static charged pink waste, but it sure beats running thru several body blank builds before you're truly ready to go there.

O, and in cases where you're shipping a proof set to a customer for initial approval, it's a whole lot cheaper to ship several pink bodies than an equal number of Poplar (or similar) bodies

You know how routers throw wood, though. You're going to need some kind of cover for that keyboard ... [and] ... computer. Otherwise, I can't imagine either are going to work for very long.

agreed. I don't have the plexi shelf cover in place or the dust shroud around the cutter yet, either

all the best,

R

I'm auditioning yet another CAM package, and I believe this one is going to be the keeper. not only is it able to do all I've asked of it in the basic entry level package, but it's currently on sale for $600 (vs. the reg price of $995) I have a 30-day temp license that allows me to generate the tool paths and also post the gcode, so I should have an opportunity to cut pink foam test articles in the very near future. if these are good ... I get to cut wood!

here's an image of the roughing passes for the rear gut-cut

madCAM_GutCutToolPathGeneration.jpg

and then an image of the visual replay of the cutting code to verify that I've programmed to tool paths like I wanted. I've discovered this is a powerful tool for finding that you've cut the wrong part of the body and left behind the part you wanted to cut

madCAM_GutCutToolPathVisualValidation.jpg

all of these pale green lines are centerlines of the cutting tool paths for the body outline, the control cavity, the control cavity cover recessed face, the heel contour, and the gut-cut. total estimated cutting time is under an hour, and I need to perform one cutter change (flat bottom to rounded bit) mid-way thru the cutting of this side. we'll see how that compares with reality once my machine controller code accounts for the feedrate changes coming in/out of sharp corners

madCAM_RearSideToolPaths.jpg

and just in case you wanted to see what I'm working with for a session display, here's my CAD session with the CAM plug-in loaded and the rear side tool paths displayed

RhinoCAD_madCAM_SessionCapture.jpg

most of what I now know was learned purely by intuitive hacking - a reflective testament on how nice of a job the software development teams have done to make their tools powerful and user friendly. I would have loved to have done all this with the software I sell, but the company wasn't open to giving me an employee discount ... and I don't have a spare (undisclosed really big amount) sitting around looking for a place to be spent

all the best,

R

Back