Seattle, WA area

here's a few things I've been meaning to post but haven't got to it ... ( :sign13: NNT, time to click to a different thread before you scroll down further)

a new M-Series 5-string - Rosewood burl top/back, flame Western Maple core, dyed black accent veneers + Birdseye/Cocobolo neck. this one heads off to paint later this week
RM10503_ReadyForFinish_Front.jpg

RM10503_ReadyForFinish_Back.jpg

VRB-MM5L with 1-piece Swamp Ash body + Birdseye/Brazilian Rosewood epoxied fingerboard. this will have a G&L L-1000 type of passive bass/treble tone control on a stacked pot
RV09512MFL_NeckAttached.jpg

and a close-up of the polished epoxy fingerboard
RV09512MFL_FingerboardAfter1stBuffing_Closeup.jpg

I'm also in process of setting this up in my shop. I bought this servo driven 25" x 39" x 5"Z working area slightly used unit for less $$ than I could have built a home-brew unit for. It's a great deal from a fellow builder, and is currently in the K2 shop getting a clean-up/inspection before it's crated and shipped my way. I also now have licensed copies of Rhino CAD/CAM and Mach3  :blob7:

K2_CNC_d.jpg

all the best,

R

I got the new 36" x 84" x 28"H work bench completed last night. the height is designed to give me a CNC table height of 33" - a pretty comfortable working height for my 6'-3" frame

CNC_New36x84inWorkTable.jpg

I designed this so there's enough room to locate the Inca 10" planer/jointer on the end of the table  :glasses9:  now I need to run power conduits and recepticle boxes within the table frame so I won't have extension cords snaking all over the place

all the best,

R

got the CNC and jointer/planer up on the new workbench - it's solids as can be, so I don't anticipate and wiggle issues with quick direction changes ausing any binding of the CNC. I still need to level the unit so there's no racking, and then hard mount it to the table

CNC_LoadedOntoNewWorkTable.jpg

I also still need to get the computer hardware installed, a wireless card installed in the workstation so I can push data from my office instead of packing a thumb drive out to the shop for each job. give everything else going on, this will unfortunately have to take a lower priority for the moment :(

it's going to take me some time to learn the best modeling methods for Rhino CAD/CAM and how to optimize tool paths/speeds for various woods with the Mach3. I'm hoping to have my first body test cut sometime in June (earlier if possible)

all the best,

R

more wood and bass pron  :glasses9:

another M-Series 4-string using more of my Koa stash

RM11405_Koa_FullFront-1.jpg
RM11405_Koa_BodyFront.jpg

- Koa on ultra light Mahogany with black accent veneer
- Mahogany / Pau Ferro neck with 1-1/2" nut
- Nordstrand Big Singles pickup set and 2-band preamp (Vol p/p bypass + Blend + Passive tone + Active bass/treble)
- Hipshot Type A alum core bridge
- Hipshot Ultralights
- an amazing 7.5 pounds total weight

completed VRB-MM5FL

VRB09513LF_CompletedFront-1.jpg
RV09512MFL_ReadyForNut_Rear.jpg

RV09512MFL_PassiveToneControls.jpg

coming soon - images of my first 6-string guitar prototypes

all the best,

R

Beautiful! How in the world do you sell them when you're done? I wouldn't be able to let go of one.

Cagey said:
Beautiful! How in the world do you sell them when you're done? I wouldn't be able to let go of one.

part of the process is the anticipation of customer feedback shortly after they receive their new instrument, and an even greater joy comes wekkes/months later when I receive studio/live images and gig reports from clients who have been using their new instrument and developed a real fondness and appreciation for what it allows them to do with their creativity

it was difficult on some of my earlier builds to let them out the door, but I came to realize that I could always build another. I still have an occasional build I'd prefer not to let go of (you'll see an example of one I prefer not to let go of when I post imaged of that freshly finished/buffed redwood sandwich M-Series 5-string later this week)

all the best,

R

FernandoEsteves said:
Jesus!!! The koa tops you've got are amazing! :eek:  :sad:

several deeply quilted Maple tops arrived earlier this past week ... I better not show them so you can get some sleep this weekend  :laughing8:

more spalted Koa on its way here later this month  :blob7:

all the best,

R

How in the world do you sell them when you're done?

~ I came to realize that I could always build another. ~

I read a recent article about Paul Reed Smith where he said more or less the same thing. He was complaining about how he never got to keep a guitar of his own, because someone was always snatching up "his" personal one. Gee, if I was cynical, I'd almost say he had a good marketing ploy there for the extremely-priced ones...

"Yeah, I practically had to beat up Paul to get this $11,000 baby away from him..."  :toothy12:

Luckily, I'm not cynical. :icon_thumright:

the body -just- arrived back from the paint shop ... perfect lunchtime delivery from FedEx  :hello2:

(apologies for the fingerprint marks and lightbulb glare by that control hole)
RM10503_BodyFreshFromPaint_Front.jpg

RM10503_BodyFreshFromPaint_Back.jpg

this is my first time using this finish shop, and I can say I'm very pleased based on my initial inspection. one key detail is that the grain filler they used didn't leave any light colored deposits in the black veneer line (a personal pet peeve) or in any of the birdseyes in the Redwood top sets

the neck is finished equally as nice. I'll post an image of the two together once I have the neck pocket detailed and ready to accept the finished neck

all the best,

R

Back