Seafoam Green Pazz Bass, an occasional series

amigarobbo

I don't really need another bass, but the Screamin' deals mega sale of 2017?

Don't mind if I do!

BP2437D.jpg

$204! Alder body, I think I'd have gone for a Ash body if I was going for the full build, but at $204? That's like a free bass body with a paint job!

Also went for a P bass pickup in the neck position,

Do I need a neck? Shall I go for a fancy bound block inlay jazz bass neck?

Checks money, nope.

But they did have this in the Screamin' deals

BN7065a.jpg

Can't remember how much the base price was, as I've added  some of the small Stainless Steel I like, white Corian nut, a bit brighter to match the sound of the Stainless steel, satin nitro finish, I would have liked a matching Sea Foam headstock, but apparently they don't do that on showcase items. Not quite sure why they don't want my money, as I'm already paying for the satin finish, but there you go, not a bid deal.

Went for a Pau Ferro fingerboard, after looking online at Sea foam Green jazz basses, I think I prefer a dark brown fretboard to a true black or maple with *that* shade of green. In terms of feel and sound (lol tonewood) I'd prefer ebony over rosewood, but the only screaming deal with ebony had mother of pearl inlays so I can't order from outside the USA.  :sad1:  It was a beautiful black ebony, and the MOP inlays just 'popped' :sad1:

Anyway, so I went for the harder, less grainy Pau Ferro over rosewood, but a rather rosewood looking one.

This is First in an occasional series, as I'm not in any rush to build it, indeed I may even tell myself I'll put it aways to xmas as a pressie to myself, my beautiful selfish. I won't, but I'll tell myself I will.

Edited to add the stats:
Construction Solid
Neck Pocket Standard Bass Pocket
Wood Alder
Right/Left Right handed
Control Rout Top Rout
Pickups P-J Bass® (Bridge, 3 3/4")
Bridge Rout Gotoh 201
Input Jack Rout No Side Jack Hole Jack
Contour Forearm Contour
Contour Tummy Cut
Battery Box No Battery Box Rout
Top Finish Seafoam Green
Back Finish Seafoam Green
Finish Type Gloss Finish
Scale 34"
Weight 4lbs., 13oz.

Neck:
Wood Maple Neck Wood/Pau Ferro Fretboard
Right/Left Right Handed
Stiffening Rods Standard Steel Rods
Nut Width 1-1/2" (38mm) J Bass®
Nut White Corian - Standard Nut
Neck Profile Standard
# of Frets 21
Frets SS6230 (Stainless)
Radius Straight 10"
Inlay Cream Face Dots
Side Dots White Side Dots
Tuner Ream Drilled for BML (17.5mm)
Finish Clear Satin Nitro
Scale 34"
Mounting Holes Standard 4 Bolt

Forgot to mention, I went for the Precision spilt coil neck pickup, It's been confirmed that that mean the body will have both the P and J pickup holes, so I'll have to use a scratchplate, but I will have the option on both styles.

Traditionally, I prefer a PJ arrangment, I find the two Jazz pickups have the bite, but lack the err.. bollo.. Mid thump power of P, with the bridge Jazz adding a bit of high end sparkle back in.

I'm still thinking about the pickups, I'm leaning towards either the Lace Sensor ones, I refuse to call them 'Man O War' as that's a silly name*, or possibly some Cutis Novak, the Charlie Christian ones look interesting, http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/pb-cc.shtml as do the humbucking Jazz pickups http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/jb-hc.shtml

I'm going to wait to see what the colour looks like in the flesh before I decide what scratchplate, or colour of hardware to get.

Gods-of-war-Cover.JPG

It's going to be a fine one. Seafoam green is a nice look especially when the headstock is the same.

I've checked my bank account, and I can definitely say I won't be doing much buying for this for a while, and as I've said I need to see what the finish looks like in the flesh, before I start getting any of the other hardware,

but..

That doesn't stop me shopping! Looking!

I was thinking of all chrome hardware, maybe even with one of those chrome, and pointless bridge and pickup covers, with a chrome paisley pick guard. A visual delight of chrome and Sea Foam Green.

Chrome%20Paisley.jpg

I quite like those Schaller tuners, I like the coffin Hexagonal shape,
TK-0791-001-web.jpg

they are quite heavy though, I'll have to see how well it balances.

Maybe a Babitzc bridge, although I do quite look of a Badass style bridge,  :icon_scratch:

In some ways I'm glad I didn't get a matching headstock, as I can mix and match the neck on different bodies, thats one advantage on bolt on necks. 

Just a small point, on a price of (UKP) £431.39 I had a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee £11.86, bring back Paypal, that's what I say!

sorry, I'm starting to ramble..

Looking good - especially the chrome paisley guard

amigarobbo said:
...Just a small point, on a price of (UKP) £431.39 I had a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee £11.86, bring back Paypal, that's what I say!

That's 2.75% - Paypal charge about 3%, they just hide it in the exchange rate. Get a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign purchases, there are various ones out there.

Fat Pete said:
Looking good - especially the chrome paisley guard

amigarobbo said:
...Just a small point, on a price of (UKP) £431.39 I had a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee £11.86, bring back Paypal, that's what I say!

That's 2.75% - Paypal charge about 3%, they just hide it in the exchange rate. Get a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign purchases, there are various ones out there.

They all hide it in the exchange rate, then some charge 3%, the difference is the seller not the buyer pays for Paypal fees.

:icon_scratch: Except of course, where do the sellers get the money to pay for the PayPal fees?

:doh:

amigarobbo said:
They all hide it in the exchange rate, then some charge 3%, the difference is the seller not the buyer pays for Paypal fees.

True, but to varying degrees. According to xe.com, today's 'actual' $-£ rate is 1.30438 - Paypal will charge you at 1.259 and Mastercard 1.3013 (+ a transaction charge if your card issuer levies one). This means that my $500 purchase today would cost me £397.14 via Paypal or £384.22 with my Mastercard. Admittedly not a life changing difference but I'd still rather have that £13 ($17) in my bank if I'm not getting anything extra for it.

[edit]: Based on today's rates, this makes Paypal's fee to the buyer about 3.5%

amigarobbo said:

:icon_scratch: Except of course, where do the sellers get the money to pay for the PayPal fees?

That's the part many don't realize when they advocate raising taxes on corporations or increasing the minimum wage. Corporations don't pay taxes or salaries - their customers do. You could raise their taxes 100% and increase minimum wage to $40/hr, but what will you have accomplished? Raising the price of their goods and services a compensatory amount for the consumer who pays them. Then the consumer wants a tax cut or an increase in wages to meet the new cost of living. It's a snake eating its tail.

Money moves in a circle.  The money you pay a company for goods or services also comes from a company (generally) in exchange for labor.  So "where it comes from" kind of depends on where you stop looking.  It's kind of like water.  It's also a very reductionist way of looking at things.

But none of this is about the incredibly awesome seafoam green/chrome paisley Pazz bass, so I'll stop talking about it.  :icon_thumright:

amigarobbo said:
Wish I'd never mentioned it now...
:laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:
Great looking bass body you got there, don't keep us waiting too long to finish it. (Like I can talk, been "working" on a Tele for the last 6 months........)

Months? Ha. I have builds measured in years.  The oldest is my Tele build. Got the body in 2006.

Hehe! Yeah, I'm guilty of that, too. I have a Mahogany body/Walnut neck Strat that's been sitting in its case just rotting for about 7 or 8 years now. Then, there's that old PRS-style VIP that's been kicking around for about 6 years. And there's a really nice Soloist I've been ignoring for about 5. Oh, and I have a 7 string SG copy that's just a basket of parts at the moment. That's about 4 years old. Of course, there are lotsa parts that aren't really "projects" yet that are just looking for targets of opportunity.

Totally understand.  I have a VIP, not as old as yours, but still old enough that it is pre DL tops and has recessed controls. Oh to have a job.  The plan was to have them done last year. Ha! Plan is to get them done in 2018.

I've checked my finances, I can probably afford to get the bridge, tuners and that neck plate that keeps the neck on by October, get to play it acoustically and all set up,  :sad1: I've already got them in the Thomann shopping basket.  :sad1:

and hopefully early in the new year get the pickups.

It's just occurred to me, that if I'm going the chrome look, there's an obvious choice:

Aluma_P_Bass_CHRM.png

ALUMA_J_CHROME.png

The only thing putting me off is the fact I've already used Alumitones in two builds, they're great pickups, but I don't like to get stereotyped.

Although I have just found out you can set the P pickup to series/parallel this provides options,  :icon_thumright:

Stereotyped? You mean like how Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Johnson are all stereotypical Strat players?  :laughing7:

Back