SC, P90 & HB

skydigger

Thinking of doing something a little different to a strat build.

What, if any problems will I have if install a SC in neck position, P90 in middle and an HB in the bridge?

Is this even feasible? 

Totally feasible. There will be a serious output difference between the sc and the P90 and HB though. Good luck coming up with some crazy switching..

Output differences can be overcome. There are some pretty fierce single coils out there. RG Muy Grande for one and SD 1/4 pounder's another. P90s are out there in various flavours too and RG supply RWRP so noise won't be an obstacle. As for switching? A 5way and a coil splitter would do it for me......Is it gonna be a Lefty? :blob7:

It would certainly work and would be pretty versatile too. Getting all the plastics the same color might be hard though. There are so many versions of 'parchment', 'cream', 'mint green' etc. to make your head spin.

If it were me I'd go for the hum in the bridge and P90 in the neck thus eliminating the volume difference. Its tried and tesed by many of the best projects on here and will give you tone that can melt butter.

Soloshchenko said:
If it were me I'd go for the hum in the bridge and P90 in the neck thus eliminating the volume difference. Its tried and tesed by many of the best projects on here and will give you tone that can melt butter.

Thanks.

What do ya think about doing that to a Strat?

skydigger said:
Soloshchenko said:

Thanks.

What do ya think about doing that to a Strat?

Sacrilegious, yet killer.

The combination of P90 neck/HB bridge is a very good one indeed.  May I suggest a lighter wound P90 at the neck - to retain some sparkle.  This last P90 I've got is a 10k+ wind (from Gibson!) and its a bit much for the neck.  Something in the order of 7.5 to about 8k (max) I think would be idea.  HINT:  Fralin!!!

The BFG I did, and Vics BFT are both in the 8.3k range, and are reasonably bright at the neck.  They're hollow bodies, mahogany necks.  Keep in mind - a solid body and maple neck will brighten things up considerably.  The hollow MWT I did for myself with goncalo neck has got that 10kish P90, and I'd not mind reducing that down quite a bit.

P90's like to be rather close to the strings for good brightness.  If you back them away, you lose volume - and you lose sparkle.  What this means is an overly hot P90 (less bright to begin with) will need to be set close to the strings.  Since P90's are LOUD pickups, and since its at the neck (louder yet), you'll need a real rippin' HB at the bridge to keep up with it.  I've used Burstbucker Pro #2 and Burstbucker #3 with good success (the latter is a bit darker.. just a bit).

Just some thoughts "from the field".

-CB- said:
Since P90's are LOUD pickups, and since its at the neck (louder yet), you'll need a real rippin' HB at the bridge to keep up with it.  I've used Burstbucker Pro #2 and Burstbucker #3 with good success (the latter is a bit darker.. just a bit).

How hot do you think the bridge needs to be to match about an 8k P90?

Back