Saw a nasty one tonite

-CB-

Epic Member
I was over installing an outdoor light on a friends rental property.  The place has two houses on one lot.  A Haitian lady came to see the unit stilll available for rent, and the existing tennants dog went after her.  She took a step or two backward in fear, tripped backward off the curb into the street, and ended up falling backward, head over heels, reverse endo... and from all appearances, snapped her neck when she hit the ground.  It bent at real bad angle, and I sort of felt the crunch as I saw it snap.  She lay there 20 minutes - never moved.  Paramedics loaded her on a back board, secured her head and neck from moving further, and took her away.

This is gonna take a long time to get outta my little theather of the mind.  Frikkin looked like Evel Knevel doing Ceasers Palace... not good.

:sad: Sounds terrible.

So who is at fault for the accident?
Did the woman fall because she misjudged her step, or was it because of the tenant's dog?
If the dog caused the woman to fall, then I would imagine that the tenant's need to be responsible for the medical bills.

Dude, that suuuuucks.  I hope she ends up being okay, but that really doesn't sound good.

Oooooh

Dog went after visitor, presumably invited onto premises by property owner.  Lawyers will love this for civil claims.

Hope the lady is OK, but being loaded onto the ambo in a backboard isn't a good sign.

I remember wintertime in elementary school, 4th grade-- all the classes were outside for recess. A whistle blew and we lined up by class in front of our teachers to go inside. One class's teacher, Ms Sweeney, had still been inside the building. She jogged out to meet her class and all the other students. Being a Massachusetts winter, the pavement was covered in patches of black ice.

As she reached the curb where her students were waiting, she slipped. Feet right out from under her, just like you said CB. Her head hit the curb and made this deep sick cracking thud sound, and she just laid there. Everybody screamed. One of the other teachers shouted, "Go play, everyone, go play" to clear us from the area. All the kids ran away a bit then turned back around to see what was happening. A deep red pool of blood was growing larger and larger on the ground around Ms Sweeney's head. Eventually an ambulance came and took her away, but the blood just stayed. Eventually a janitor came and washed it away.

Ultimately, she did not die, but she was unable to finish that year. Scary stuff

That's not good.  I've seen some bad stuff as well, including someone being hit by a car.

Never good too see this stuff.

I'm sorry you had to see the accident, and of course that the victim got hurt.  It really is way worse seeing it happen in person opposed to hearing about it or seeing it on the news.

For the past week, they have been working on the roof of the apartment building across the street from me.  Its a tall 3 stories with a full attic on top bringing it up a bit more.  The roof is steeply pitched, made of slate, and is deteriorating.  The guys squeeze through an attic window onto a plank they've nailed, then scramble around as best they can.  The first day they wore harnesses, but now they feel comfortable they don't have the harnesses.

This is right across the street from the window I sit at on my computer or while playing guitar, so I'm constantly looking.  I can't not look.  But its gone through my mind that I really don't want to have that image in my mind if anything should happen.  But I can't not look every time I hear a shout or a loud noise.

Hope she's ok. Did anybody help before the Ambulance got there? She's got my prayers, for sure.

In Pre-K, I was "cool" and had both hands in my pockets and leaned up against the wall with one foot, like the Marlboro Man.

Too bad I ran that way too....fell straight on my little face, broke my jaw and a few of my teeth.  :sad:

Dash Woi Aim Uggly!

-edit- owner of the dog is at fault, I'd say. unless she was there without permission. People, I can't stress enough how imnportant it is to control your animals. about two years ago I got bit by a dog pretty badly...I'll save you the gore...but it was a big bloddy mess. Totally preventable.

Well..... I didn't sleep much last nite, too upsetting.

I'm gonna get an update on her from the neighbor of the tennant - she should be home from work 'bout midnite and promised to call.

I thought I'd be hearing from either the cops or the lawyers today - but nothin' so far.

I interrupt your frustrating day to bring you pointless levity. 

funny-pictures-turtle-escapes-slowly.jpg

It might not fix anything, but an escaping tortoise never made anything worse that I''m aware of.  Hope you feel better and that she ends up ok.

(This is like an internet version of an awkward hug between guys.) 

-Mark

How Sweet... :icon_tongue:

Feel the love...Collect and send our good thoughts to her ok? Hope she makes it out alright.

Those clowns finished this morning on the roof across the street.  They dropped a piece of lumber that took out a bush, but no one fell, thank goodness.

Well it was bound to happen... now the notarized depositions are being sought.

The woman is expected to recover though.

Back