Fell asleep... Daltry and Clapton.... terrrible

-CB-

Epic Member
Got an all paid invite to go see Dalton and Clapton out in Ft Lauderdale.   So... trucked on out to the "Bank Atlantic" center, formerly National Car Rental Center, formerly Panther Arena, formerly Office Depot Center, formerly Broward County Civic Arena.   Due to dismissal of all input from the navigator (moi) and a stern predisposition by the captain and pilot that "the place is right off the Turnpike", we arrived, "butt to seat", fully 45 minutes after Roger Daltry, OBE, 66, twit, took the stage.

This late arrival was just as well.  The seats were in the upper periphery of the E Region, of the ionosphere,  better known as the Heaviside layer.  Better put, we were able to converse with pigeons, look down upon the blokes in the catwalks running the lights, and were jeered and laughed at by those lucky enough to be seated far far below, in the K Region, of the seating chart, better known as the Nosebleed section.

The seats, as they were, required portage of several precipices better navigated by mountain goat or Canyon mule.  The mule insisted on holding the flashlight, and merely pointing with a laser to our seats.  So as the mule gave us a "good luck" in some foreign language (Swartheley), we grabbed our chairs and sat down.  Looking forward.... my stomach began to turn in knots as the vast vertical desolation between my own body and terra-firma actually sunk in.   I began to feel thankful that I didn't have any lunch or dinner.  Then I looked about and saw a monster video monitor, about 200 feet high, and it had some prancing 66 year old wrinkled twit in tight pants and open shirt, complete with gut spillage over the beltline, cavorting across the stage, mic in one hand, tambourine in the other.   Roger OBE Daltry.  That sealed the deal, and I began to dry heave.  The only recourse was to close my eyes and grab the sides of my chair.  

About that time, I started wondering when the jet would finally stop hovering over my head, and realized it was not a jet at all, but "the music".  Beyond loud.  Beyond beyond loud.  Beyond frikkin ear bleeding, ass bleeding, groin crunching, brain mushing loud.  I gingerly took one hand and fished a "poured into your ear fit" earplug in one ear.  Then used the other hand to get the loud out of the other.  So here I am, dry heaving, trying to save my hearing, or whats left of it, and devise a way back down, which will certainly not be via mule assist.

I kept my eyes closed through three songs.  Daltry was done.  Finally.  Intermission.  Which lasted a full 45 minutes, as they completely changed stage, even the on stage lighting and pleasantries.  Out comes a big rug.  Its EC's "channeling" rug.  The one with the big tie-dye bullseye in center.  He stands in it, and wont move two inches from its center.  Thats it.  

EC took the stage.  If I didn't know better, I'd say he was half lit, half in the bag.  He stumbled in, played two bad notes out of his entrance riff, and gingerly gave a finger wiggle to the crowd down below.  He looked like hell.  Worse than me even.  Forget the "professor" look he's been doing for the last decade or more.  EC was fat, I mean 50 pounds, or more, overweight fat.  His hair is long down to his shoulders, his face is paunchy and bloated, and he was just... bad.  I mean no fire, no luster, just sex-by-the-numbers bad.  Dont ask me what he played.  I cant remember.  

During intermission, I found it very pleasant to keep the eyes shut... and began to doze off quite well.  I saw EC come on, he played... I have no idea what... and I closed my eyes and fell asleep.  I woke up when he was into the middle of an unplugged "Layla", thought how he managed to screw it up, and fell back asleep until the earthquake hit.  The earthquake being the foot stomping of "we want more" ovation calling.  EC walked back on and played... the worse rendition of "Crossroads" ever performed, for what seemed like a whole three minutes... gave another finger wiggle, and walked off.  The lights came up and I went back into dry heaves again, seeing just how far up our seats REALLY were.

After some assistance, three mule rides, and a bit of makeshift rappelling, I managed to get back on ground level, and didn't care that the gawking crowd gathered, when I began, on hands and knees, to French kiss the pavement.  I kept at it until they threw enough change to amply make up for both toll fare and Duncan Donuts coffee, grabbed the coins and beat feet to the shuttle craft for return voyage to Camp =CB='er.

Hey... at least it didn't cost me any money.  

well. sounds like an awful show, but if it makes you feel any better you should write short stories. or humor articles. haha great story.

Great read, too bad the show wasn't ........    :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:  :laughing7:  :laughing7:

sounds familiar to me too.  I scored some free tickets to see Clapton play a blue show in PGH.  So I took my girlfriend and made the drive. 

Long story short...I left 1/2 way through.  I was NOT impressed.  Like you...I am glad I did not pay any $$.  I will admit he is a good guitarist but I never really saw what all the fuss was about.

Tell ya what... I get more of a thrill watchin' some of the local "biker bands" that play the weekly gigs at different watering holes.  Yah the play list doesn't vary a whole lot from the southern and classic bluesrock fare, but the rawness, the vibrance, the up-front-in-your-face tone and quality of the dynamics.... is a lot more entertaining.

Now it could be... the place has lousy acoustics and bad echos and such.  But the mix sounded dead, they had some canned parts that they synched with... it was... flat.  Just lackluster.  There was more life in the recordings than live.  Sad.

Great writing, very funny. You should submit to Pitchfork or somewhere.  :icon_thumright: I read his autobio a couple of years ago and he basically admits he's just cashing in to pay for his yacht and his various obligations, kids, exwives, whatevs. He sounded like a complete d-bag in his own autobio, which seemed strange - why write and publish a book about what a d-bag you are?

Thinking about your experience =CB=, I am reminded about sportspeople who play one too many game & end up ruining their reputation in the process... Mind you these guys are now over 60 and even though I am way younger than them, I'd hate to try and do what I was doing when I was 25 or so, now.

They must have millions $$ stashed away somewhere, and you wonder why they opt to do the larger venues when maybe the stress of that is now beyond them. Maybe they'd be more at home doing smaller venues or not even doing shows at all. :dontknow:

Nah... its the free market at work.

Why do they play at large venues?  Because the tickets sell.  We were a packed house... maybe 85-90 percent sold out.  The place holds up to 21,000 but usually is set up for more like 15,000.  So... do the math.  Average ticket price at $100.  Thats $1,500,000.  Take half out for promoters.  There are venue charges on top of ticket prices ($10 courtesy fee, $5 stadium fee).  So thats $750k split two ways or maybe not, but lets say 50/50.  Now we're talking $375k minus crew and logistical expenses.  Take $25k out for that... no make it outrageous $50k.  Thats still over $300k.  Take out taxes and local fees... for security and such.  Still over $300k, but lets say $300k.  Hey but it was only 80 percent... so maybe $240k range.  With numbers like those, even with big fudge factors, we're talkin a whole boatload of bling-bling.  So its probably a 20 to 25 show tour, in top cities... lets whack it back again.. average $200k per show.  Times 20...$4mil.  Out of that, Uncle Sam takes 40 percent.  So we got $2.2mil or so.  Now lets look at the time - two hour shows.  Take your $2.2mil divided by 20x2hous.... something like $55,000 per hour.  Maybe get a blister on their little finger....maybe get a blister on their thumb.....

When they cant pull in the numbers any more, then they'll scale back to reduce costs, but as long as folks pay, they'll play.

I've know a few people who were sober for a long, long time, and when they fall off the wagon it takes them about two weeks to end up, ummm:
fat, I mean 50 pounds, or more, overweight fat.  His hair is long down to his shoulders, his face is paunchy and bloated, and he was just... bad.  I mean no fire, no luster,

He's retired and unretired a number of times, and gone on record as saying he doesn't really like playing and only practices when he's got a "Crossroads" or something coming up. It's a shame, to just run out of interest.

stubhead said:
I've know a few people who were sober for a long, long time, and when they fall off the wagon it takes them about two weeks to end up, ummm:
fat, I mean 50 pounds, or more, overweight fat.  His hair is long down to his shoulders, his face is paunchy and bloated, and he was just... bad.  I mean no fire, no luster,

He's retired and unretired a number of times, and gone on record as saying he doesn't really like playing and only practices when he's got a "Crossroads" or something coming up. It's a shame, to just run out of interest.

maybe he is too busy doing cell phone commercials?? :dontknow:

"Average ticket price was $100"

I don't care if the mighty Zep reformed... along with Bonzo crawling out of the grave to bang the skins... Or if Jimi ressurrected... I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks to see anyone.

I mean c'mon - nobody's that good.

Well..... ya see... its spring break.

Tickets on the floor were $245-275 each.  First level up was in the $145-175 range.  Next was the $85-$95.... I think our tix were $55 each, out in ... the place where radio waves bounce off the ionosphere.  I know this because I was asked to go... and pay my way, and flatly refused.  So the offer was made "what if I pay for your tix"....sure, and parking and anything I consume as well, and its a deal.  Done.

BB King usually gets $85-$125 in these parts, but I saw him up in Salisbury Md, the tix were only like $30 each.  Thats the way it is. 

Back