Stiletto II - the magic one

fdesalvo

I had a Stage II Deuce a couple of years ago but reluctantly sold it to fund a Splawn QuickRod (we picked up a sponsorship and I wanted in).  Having missed the transparent FX loop and amazing clean tone of the Stiletto, I decided to get back into the Mesa fold and picked up a Mark V, but grew tired of it after a week.  The first rehearsal with it was amazing, but the second was terrible.  I found myself constantly having to tweak the settings and couldn't find that tone I had the week prior - even with the controls set the same.  During live shows with the Mark IV, I had the same issues; it needed to be tweaked for every room and you couldn't just turn up the treble without effecting the balance of the other channels.  I never had this issue with the Splawn or the Stiletto, as the tone controls were very easy to adjust on the fly.  I returned it to Guitar Center. 

While there, I saw this dusty Deuce II sitting neglected in the corner.  It was beautiful in it's Wine Tuarus Skin, but it looked really sad.  I turned the head about and saw that the chassis was covered with a thick layer of dust.  Even the tubes were blanketed.  The salesman approached and tried selling it to me, but I told him it wasn't the one I wanted because I "hated the color"  :laughing7:

I came back the next day and told him that I was concerned about how long the amp was on the floor (and that the tubes are likely on their last legs because I noticed that people leave these amps on and off standby for hours or days at a time).  I said I'd take the amp if they threw in a new quad of matched EL34s.  They agreed and as the salesman went in the back to find the Tuki cover, manual, footswitch, and cables, I grabbed a PRS from the walll and plugged in. 

I noticed immediately that this one was special - different from my other, but I have no idea why.  The gain was tighter and more saturated, but very clear.  I can't explain why this is when these amps are produced to such tight tolerences, but I know that components themselves can be off by as much as 20%, so maybe this one has the magical combination of resistor values. Whatever the reason, this one is AMAZING!  My other was really nice sounding and I was hesitant to sell it, but the lead channel of the Splawn quickly erased my anxiety.  After the honeymood period with the Splawn ended, I realized the FX loop and clean channel were mediocre - still, I was reluctant to sell it because the lead channel was the best I have ever heard in any amp.  This Stiletto has erased the seller's remorse I carried from unloading the Splawn.

I took her home and removed the tubes and dusted the chassis, tolex, and as a preventive measure, cleaned the jacks.  She cleaned up well~  :eek:ccasion14:

amp11.jpg

amp12.jpg

Glad you came to your senses, these amps rock!!! That's a killer one for sure.
Here's mine! (mines a stage 1 unmodded, and it's amazing!)  :eek:ccasion14:
stiletto.jpg

:headbang:  that's a sweet rig, indeed!  I just so happen to love the original formula Deuce.  I do love my extra crispy one, as well!

I noticed I had a lil squeal on channel two at any gain setting above 10 o' clock, so after rehearsal I swapped in a new set of JJ ECC83Ss  into V2/3 and a new quad of EL34s for good measure.

I normally don't like JJ preamp tubes, but thought these should be less microphonic just to get me through my gig tomorrow night. Additionally, Mesas are shipping out all of their new amps with these preamp tubes, so why not?  I do miss the "Russian 2" tubes!

Dude - the amount of gain on this one is insane. I think my other was defective lol. The saturation at 9 o' clock on the gain pot is really nice. I hope I get to work the power section a lil tomorrow night.

yeah, JJ's go great with the Stilettos'! In mine I've got jj's in all preamp spots, ( except for V1, got a Mesa Russian 2 in there, I wish Mesa still used those!!) as well as JJ E34L's in the power section, love the tone I'm getting from 'em. I love that the Stiletto's are so sensitive to preamp tube changes, it's fun to experiment (recently tried some EHX's in V2/V3, sounded great, a little fatter/rounder & darker, but also a little noisier unfortunately!)

Definitely love this amp, the clean channel is awesome, I built a clone of a fulltone OCD (v4) and it sounds EPIC through the tight-clean mode on the clean channel, I've got channel 2 setup on the fluid-drive mode, I've got it dialed in to sound like my buddie's Orange Rockerverb 100, it's killer!

cheers mate!
:eek:ccasion14:

I'm saving up for a Splawn Super Comp (single channel Nitro with KT88's), but for now my Stiletto is my main amp.

What cab(s) do you run your Deuce II with?

That splawn will ruin you for other amps- lead channel anyway.

I use a fender 412 straight cab loaded with G12k-100s.  Delish!

Yeah, brotha. I bought the cab (MH412-ST) to pillage the speakers and repalce the G12T-75s in this 1960 I use, but the build quality of the cab was so good, I just let it be.  It's essentially the same size as Mesa's oversized 412 straight cab.

I miss my Quickrod, though - and I'm sure I'll have another Splawn at some point, but I just can' afford to run a multi-head setup at this point in my life haha. :party07:

BTW - don't let those guys on the Splawn forum trick you into believing that Splawn amps sound great only running through a certain cab/speaker; mine crushed through every cab using G12T-75s, V30s, and G12K-100s.

fdesalvo said:
Yeah, brotha. I bought the cab (MH412-ST) to pillage the speakers and repalce the G12T-75s in this 1960 I use, but the build quality of the cab was so good, I just let it be.  It's essentially the same size as Mesa's oversized 412 straight cab.

I miss my Quickrod, though - and I'm sure I'll have another Splawn at some point, but I just can' afford to run a multi-head setup at this point in my life haha. :party07:

BTW - don't let those guys on the Splawn forum trick you into believing that Splawn amps sound great only running through a certain cab/speaker; mine crushed through every cab using G12T-75s, V30s, and G12K-100s.

good to know! Haha, I have heard a lot of stuff like that, I'm partial to Mesa & Marshall cabs with the V30's and 12T-75's, I was thinking I'd maybe try an Orange 2x12 with V30's in it when I get the Splawn, so we'll see.

Ah, have you mixed the speakers?  I'm curious about that - lot's of Stiletto guys say that's the way to go.

fdesalvo said:
Ah, have you mixed the speakers?  I'm curious about that - lot's of Stiletto guys say that's the way to go.

funny you mention that, I was just looking into speakers for something I could swap out one of the V30's in my Mesa Roadster 2x12 for. I was looking at a couple of the WGS speakers (the 50watt 12" invader, or the ET65 12") my brother swears by WGS speakers in all his combo amps, and his tone is pretty awesome, so I might try one.

Yeah, I hear the same things about WGS.  They have great vids on YouTube - the guy knows his speakers.

Funny thing - I've been playing for 26 years and have never played through a cab for longer than it took me to realize I didn't like the sound I was hearing when I would noodle around on one at a guitar shop.  I've otherwise played open-back combos all my life.

Suppose I want to go exploring - what should I consider when evaluating a cab?  Obviously it should ultimately sound good, but what are factors that bear on the sound besides the loudspeakers themselves? 

Other than the speakers? Two main things. One, what it's made of. It's usually either plywood or MDF, with MDF sounding somewhat dead - or, put another way, it doesn't color the sound. That's usually desirable in a sound system's speaker cabinets, not so much in instrumentation amps. Also, MDF is heavier than dammit. But, it depends on what you like to hear. The other thing is whether they're open or closed back cabinets. Closed back cabs usually sound more "beefy". Nice, solid "chunk" to them. If you play by yourself a lot, that can be a Good Thing. But, they're somewhat directional, which isn't great onstage. Open backs? Not so much. Thinner, and more dispersed.

Of course there are always build quality issues, but past those two main things, the differences start getting vague.

Gigged her last night - so easy to dial in on the fly.  Definitely made the right choice by moving away from the MkV.  I just ordered a new set of preamp tubes, she was microphonic at any gain level above 9 o'clock - but honestly, with my guitar's volume rolled back, there were no microphonics, so I suspect I need to play with pickup height.  She sounded monstrous and beautiful at the same time.  What a great series of amps!

fdesalvo said:
Gigged her last night - so easy to dial in on the fly.  Definitely made the right choice by moving away from the MkV.  I just ordered a new set of preamp tubes, she was microphonic at any gain level above 9 o'clock - but honestly, with my guitar's volume rolled back, there were no microphonics, so I suspect I need to play with pickup height.  She sounded monstrous and beautiful at the same time.  What a great series of amps!

:headbang:Thats awesome! I'm so glad to hear some praise for the Stiletto, I still can't figure out why it got such a bad rap?! I love my stage 1, it's so versatile and just fun to play! I get compliments from my bandmates all the time on my tone, "Ballzy" and "effing huge" are the most recent haha!

What preamp tubes did you go with? I was thinking of trying out one of Dougstubes preamp kits to emperiment with.

I think the problem is mostly with Bedroom players that don't hear the amp in a band context! 

Honestly, I went with the stock Mesa preamp tubes.  Their cutomer service is really good and I live about 45 minutes away from the Hollywood store, so it the crap hits the fan, I can easily get good service.  I hear great things about some of Doug's tube cocktails. 

New tube day  :headbang:

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Older "Russian 2" preamp tubes were in the mix. 
photo3-1.jpg

New factory tubes installed - leaving older rectifier tubes alone for now.
photo4-1.jpg

fdesalvo said:
I think the problem is mostly with Bedroom players that don't hear the amp in a band context! 

Honestly, I went with the stock Mesa preamp tubes.  Their cutomer service is really good and I live about 45 minutes away from the Hollywood store, so it the crap hits the fan, I can easily get good service.  I hear great things about some of Doug's tube cocktails. 

very true. Stiletto's need to be cranked up! Although there still is a trick for bedroom playing with these amps, I've found that using it in the 50w mode with the 4ohm out into the 2x12(8ohm) yields excellent "bedroom Toanz". Still, nothing beats ( for me and my playing) it cranked in the band setting through my Mesa recto 4x12!
:headbang:

I hear the recto cabs kill with these heads!  You running standard or traditional size? 

Back