sand it back smooth?

Audiowonderland

I am using Duplicolor Perfect Match. I need to lay down a black base for the pearl paint that will be the finish color. Its a lacquer and each coat should melt into the previous. With that in mind, is there any advantage in leveling the black base coats back before putting the pearl coats on top since I will need to level the clear coats regardless?

What coats/steps you have so far? The general process is to level sand whatever primer/sealer you use use before you shoot the rest. This is a process of block-sanding it back until there are no shiny spots (low points the sandpaper can't reach). Often times, you'll have to repeat the steps and respray as you sand through — spray 3 coats, sand back, spray 3 coats, sand back, etc.  But this is the time to build a flat, uniform surface. If you wait and try and level it at the clear coat step, you'll have to shoot a LOT more clear coats to avoid sanding through.

But isn't this a Franky? I don't think EVH was worried about mirror smooth final finish when he sprayed that.

DuckBaloo said:
What coats/steps you have so far? The general process is to level sand whatever primer/sealer you use use before you shoot the rest. This is a process of block-sanding it back until there are no shiny spots (low points the sandpaper can't reach). Often times, you'll have to repeat the steps and respray as you sand through — spray 3 coats, sand back, spray 3 coats, sand back, etc.  But this is the time to build a flat, uniform surface. If you wait and try and level it at the clear coat step, you'll have to shoot a LOT more clear coats to avoid sanding through.

But isn't this a Franky? I don't think EVH was worried about mirror smooth final finish when he sprayed that.

Not a Frankie.  More of an homage to his various instruments but it will have some aspects of Frankie along with aspects from other EVH guitars

I just finished spraying the last primer coat and it still needs knocked back.  I am leaning towards knocking back the base coat of black as well just to keep it as smooth as possible heading into the striping process

It quickly became clear that the coats are adding up and things are not as dry as they need to be. I touched up a few spots that needed it and its going to sit for about a week to dry and then we will see where we are at with it. The paint handle was a touch sticky. I should have paid attention to that even though the body was not

I have to admit this finishing process is trying my patience. Between lack of experience and knowledge the time lines keep pushing out which tests my patience. The longer it takes, the higher my expectations become and the higher the pressure to get it right grows and more frustrated I get when something goes side ways.

A week off is probably exactly what the doctor ordered in this case but its still not making me happy at the moment

I sanded back the various layers of primer, put down a clean primer coat and sanded that back with 600 grit..

I heated up the cans of black for the base coat and put that down. I think I put it down to thin. It looking like the coats were too dry. I think I will sand back what's there with 600 and spray 1 more wetter coat

Sanded the black back flat with 600 grit. It was essentially part of the primer coats to get the color I needed under the metalics. first 2 coats of gold metallic is on. Picked up another can today and will finish the gold tonight. Coming along well so far.

Will let the gold dry a few days before taping up and putting the burgundy coats down 

Last coats of gold went down better than I could have hoped with spray cans in a garage. Its even, minimal orange peal, and only 1 or 2 pieces of dust.

Back