Roasted Swamp Ash Body with Roasted Maple Neck

I checked mine more closely last night, and the body is a bit darker. Not a huge thing, but definitely noticeable, and more so than my pic leads one to believe. Hard to duplicate what you see in person in a photo with my phone.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a chambered Tele in Swamp Ash with Roasted Swamp Ash top and a Roasted Maple neck with SS frets. Found the neck in the showcase and the grain pattern really looks nice.

I’ve spent the last 6 weeks (sheltering at home) practicing different finish/stain techniques using sample oak boards from a Home Depot. Also found a cheap ($39) Okoume Tele body on amazon that was delivered and now practicing on that. Have to say, even though it’s cheap and DEFINITELY not Warmoth quality, the wood grain on it is kind of cool. I’m applying a cherry stain and sealed by sanding in Wipe On Poly.  Didn’t originally plan on doing much with it beyond practice but now went ahead and order a roasted maple neck off the showcase for that too.

Ric Moore said:
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a chambered Tele in Swamp Ash with Roasted Swamp Ash top and a Roasted Maple neck with SS frets. Found the neck in the showcase and the grain pattern really looks nice.

I’ve spent the last 6 weeks (sheltering at home) practicing different finish/stain techniques using sample oak boards from a Home Depot. Also found a cheap ($39) Okoume Tele body on amazon that was delivered and now practicing on that. Have to say, even though it’s cheap and DEFINITELY not Warmoth quality, the wood grain on it is kind of cool. I’m applying a cherry stain and sealed by sanding in Wipe On Poly.  Didn’t originally plan on doing much with it beyond practice but now went ahead and order a roasted maple neck off the showcase for that too.

I think you'll be happy.  I went with the swamp ash body and roasted maple neck for the Tele I built last year.  I am VERY happy with this setup, both tonally and visually.

Shore-Caster-2-2.jpg

Congratulations, good choices on both. Swamp ash, roasted or not, with roasted maple is a great combination. I have one of each. They're both spectacular looking and sounding.

I've been contemplating a roasted ash chambered Strat with a roasted maple neck. I'm very curious about the tone of that combination. I just can't decide if I should finish the body in tru-oil or leave it raw with maybe a little fine sanding to kind of burnish the body. The idea of roasting is to take all the water out of the body. If I were going to finish the body in tru-oil I would first try and fill the grain with a liquid filler and dye which would be kind of reversing the purpose of the roasting process by adding liquid back into the wood. Wood this have a negative effect on the wood over tim if I don't seal the wood? How is the tone from your set up? Thanks

Both of mine have bright, clean tones with good sustain. They're both are fairly light weight, much like alder.

Cagey said:
I haven't seen a great deal of color variance in roasted Maple necks outside of the straight vs. figured grain varieties. at least from Warmoth. The figured ones seem to be darker. No surprise - figuring exposes much more end grain. But, I know there can be differences in material based on supplier, so there must be some variation in the torrification process itself. I don't know where Warmoth gets their wood supply from vs. some other parts manufacturers, but it would seem some material has been roasted for more or less time. I'm sure that changes the color to some degree, much like changing how long you leave your cake or chicken in the oven :icon_biggrin:

I have ordered a few Warmoth roasted maple necks, used them or passed them along if they sat around too long and my project interest shifted too much. I have loved the color of Warmoth's roasted maple and find it to be nicely consistent and aesthetically pleasing. I've seen some other folks roasted maple and they were good necks but the color struck me as dull and putty looking. Funny thing is, I only like the skunk stripe on the back of roasted maple necks. I thinks it looks great. And very little beats that smell when you take roasted maple out of the box.

Back