Risky to install telecaster control plate before pickguard?

oneleaf

So my pickguard was on back-order so I had all the parts necessary to build my telecaster. I went ahead and put it together last night (it sounds and feels great by the way! Warmoth's parts are awesome).

I was planning to wait until the pickguard came before I installed the control plate to make sure the pickguard curve around the control plate was perfect before I drilled the holes. But once I got all the parts on the control plate (pots & switch), I noticed that the control plate has no movement. In other worse, even if I waited to align it with a pickguard, I really have no choice as to where I mounted it. And even the hardware was installed such that there is really no better way to make space (i.e. tone pot with leads facing inwards)... so I'm guessing the routing is designed to barely fit the controls and it's safe to drill the holes once the parts are installed and wired.

So I went ahead and drilled the holes and installed it. Taped in the neck pickup for now (until the pickguard comes) and it's playing great!

I'm just curious if other telecaster builders had the same experience? Control plate pretty much can't be adjusted anyway, and the pickguard hopefully just fits? I got a couple weeks before I find out, so I got a little anxious this morning and just looking for a little reassurance!

I would not have done that.

There normally is the possibility to move them to a degree, if there was not it is possibly down to your wiring or something. Sorry if this is not the assurance you may be looking for.

Sadly,  I've found that you need to put the pickguard down first, otherwise things don't line up right.

BUT - don't worry too much.  If you find that things are mis-aligned when you get the pickguard in, you can always fill the holes and re-drill. 

Good to know... thanks! I just printed out a template of a telecaster pickguard and I saw that it's tough to get it perfect. But lining it up, it is so close that if it doesn't work, a little filing with a bastard half-round file should be all it takes to get it right. I re-inspected the control plate and mounting holes and I have it dead center in it so it makes me feel alright having the control plate in the best spot for the hardware and file around the pickguard where needed.

Back