22 fret overhang - trim pickguard?

midge333

So I just got my Warmoth strat neck and want to install on my squier strat. It appears that I will need to trim the pickguard because of the fretboard overhang resulting from the 22 fret design. My original neck has 21 frets. Is this usually necessary? What is the best way to trim the pickguard?

The neck pocket on your Squire is obviously deeper than the standard 5/8". Normally the pickguard fits easily under the fretboard overhang. You should be able to buy a neck shim from StewMac to get the clearance you need.

Last edited:
Normally, a 22 fret neck will overhang the pickguard. Have you checked the fit yet?

If it does not overhang, it may be that the Squier neck pocket is deeper than standard spec which is 5/8" of an inch.

What tools do you have access to if you need to trim the pickguard?

The pocket is 11/16" deep. And the pocket is more curved than my warmoth neck so the holes do not line up. It is a 1992 fender squire made in Korea. I am wondering it is worth trying to work on the pocket or just go buy a different used squier strat.

The pocket is 11/16" deep. And the pocket is more curved than my warmoth neck so the holes do not line up. It is a 1992 fender squire made in Korea. I am wondering it is worth trying to work on the pocket or just go buy a different used squier strat.

Difficult to say, there are numerous variations with various Squiers over the years. But there is the old maxim about square pegs and round holes.

I have put a Warmoth neck on a Squier body, however, I used no pickguard. You could dremel the guard, or saw off the last fret/overhang. It plays great and sounds great. In fact, it is widely considered the most beautiful electric guitar ever built by humans.

Last edited:
If it was just the difference between the pickguard and the fretboard, I would attack the pickguard. Pickguards are cheaper and easier to replace than a Warmoth neck if you mess it up. 😉
True, but should we be "attacking" guitar parts?;)

The larger issue is the OP as I recall, noted the mounting holes didn’t even line up. Keep the current neck on that Squire and sell it. Get a new Squire CV body and the new neck will fit.

Which Squire do you have ? Many early models and Bullets are made to non std dimensions. Best to avoid them.
I totally missed that part. Thank you TBurst.

I was successful removing a little wood in the far back of pocket so the neck now fits. So now I am off to the big box store to buy a dremel blade to cut the pickguard. Honestly, I don't care that much about the asthetics of the squier body and pickguard. I hope to one day put the warmoth neck on a fender strat.

Last edited:
I was successful removing a little wood in the far back of pocket so the neck now fits. So now I am off to the big box store to buy a dremel blade to cut the pickguard. Honestly, I don't care that much about the asthetics of the squier body and pickguard. I hope to one day put the warmoth neck on a fender strat.
Still, hold on there, do we know the scale length is correct? Which Squier is it?

If you don't hate a lot to trim, sand paper works nicely on a pickguard and may give you more control depending on technique ... though every body should have a dremel tool.

Maybe not? Maybe it never was? No one suggested removing wood from the pocket. Removing 1 fret overhang won't change the scale of the neck, or the pickguard shaping. Messing with the end of the pocket could be a naughty though.

25.5" scale length with both necks. The old neck was more rounded so the corners of the new neck prevented it from fitting all the way back into the pocket. I trimmed some wood from both back corners but not the center. The new neck hits the same spot on the center of the back of the pocket as the old neck did. And now, the holes line up. Better lucky than good. I never thought about scale length but I wanted to be able to use the old neck if I couldn't get the new one to fit into the pocket. Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:
25.5" scale length with both necks The old neck was more rounded so the corners of the new neck prevented it from fitting all the way back into the pocket. I trimmed some wood from both back corners but not the center. The new neck hits the same spot on the center of the back of the pocket as the old neck did. And now, the holes line up. I think I am ok but I am a novice!
That sounds ok to me then! (Though I am not an expert, know just enough to be dangerous)

Careful with dremel as it can remove material quickly. Use wax of some kind to assist the neck screws.

Back