Rio Grande Texas/BBQ Vs. Crunchbox/Punchbox?

ventolino

Hi,
can someone make a comparison between Texas/BBQ and Crunchbox/Punchbox sets?
I'll put one of these sets on a mahogany/maple top and all rosewood neck, Wilkinson tremolo flat mounted.
My main style is rock (all variants, from rock to metal and in between) but also need versatility (funky chops and clean sounds), also i'm planning to use single coil features.
Also how does these compares to Gibson 498T/490R?
Thanks.  :icon_tongue:

Can't help you out on the comparison, but the Crunchbox/Punchbox are cool for metal. I haven't had a chance to hear it, but some people say they sound great split. I plan on puttin' 'em in my next Warmoth which'll be an LP. Good luck on findin' the info you need.

:rock-on:

It's kind of hard to do a comparison that's not apples to oranges; my only experiences with the Gibson 498T/490R have been playing Gibsons that belonged to others or in a store; and there would be no comparison really in the wood(s) used in the Gibsons and what you're going to get from Warmoth. That being said, the TX BBQ set I've used in some builds are "hotter"/louder/"fuller" than the Gibson set and can be coil tapped to good effect. Haven't tried the Crunchbox/Punchbox set, those would seem to be over kill for me, but I'm sure that someone on the board has tried them and can comment.

I've got the Crunchbox/Punchbox in a swamp ash strat along with a Dirty Harry single coil in the middle position.  They've got quite a bit of top end and crunch nicely.  IMO, they still sound nice clean with a bit of treble rolled off.  Putting them in an alder or mahogany body might tame the top a bit.

Split they have a bit less low and match nicely the the Dirty Harry.  I'm very pleased with that combination.

I tried Gregg's LP long ago which have the BBQ's in it.  More, very good traditional LP tone.  The CB/PB seem to have a bit more natural sparkle (or bite) to them.

-Eric.

jackthehack said:
It's kind of hard to do a comparison that's not apples to oranges; my only experiences with the Gibson 498T/490R have been playing Gibsons that belonged to others or in a store; and there would be no comparison really in the wood(s) used in the Gibsons and what you're going to get from Warmoth. That being said, the TX BBQ set I've used in some builds are "hotter"/louder/"fuller" than the Gibson set and can be coil tapped to good effect. Haven't tried the Crunchbox/Punchbox set, those would seem to be over kill for me, but I'm sure that someone on the board has tried them and can comment.

Can't understand differences between Gibson and Warmoth wood(s).
The only difference between my ordered W guitar woods and woods used on LP is in neck (all rosewood vs mahogany/rosewood), think it'll be very very similar in tone.
Only can't understand this, can you explain more?

However, think i'll go with Texas/BBQ set, as planned.  :blob7:

Back