Extensive pickup testing today, surprising outcome...

I had the AZ/AN combo in a mahogany LPS. I just never could dial in a sound I liked. I put some Gibson 57s in there. It is a totally different animal. It still sounds like arse, just a different one.

Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:
too bad you didn't have any magnets to play around with. A JB8 would possibly blow your mind :laughing7:

good reviews though. Surprised that you like the JB and Jazz set so much. It's such a hit or miss combo. I tried a JB in my W LP and I didn't care for it, although I loved the JB for years in other guitars.

I will do that some time, I have nice ideas for pickups in other guitars. but hey, I was as much surprised, as you are that I'm surprised, haha. but indeed, in my guitar, it works like a charm. I haven't tried it in another guitar though. I really want to try out the pickupcombo's I mentioned. alt8+scr.demn/custom+customcustom.

@marko: it wasn't just me, it was my friend too who felt it was a bit boring ;) but hey, if you wanna have them, just drop me an email.

Hoeveel voor die Rio's?
and what color are they? or do they have covers?

Markoooooo said:
Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:
too bad you didn't have any magnets to play around with. A JB8 would possibly blow your mind :laughing7:

good reviews though. Surprised that you like the JB and Jazz set so much. It's such a hit or miss combo. I tried a JB in my W LP and I didn't care for it, although I loved the JB for years in other guitars.

I will do that some time, I have nice ideas for pickups in other guitars. but hey, I was as much surprised, as you are that I'm surprised, haha. but indeed, in my guitar, it works like a charm. I haven't tried it in another guitar though. I really want to try out the pickupcombo's I mentioned. alt8+scr.demn/custom+customcustom.

@marko: it wasn't just me, it was my friend too who felt it was a bit boring ;) but hey, if you wanna have them, just drop me an email.

Hoeveel voor die Rio's?
and what color are they? or do they have covers?

sorry, just sold them, they had gold covers on them :) I do have a set of tony iommi pickups, by gibson. 50 euro's (which will translate in I guess 75$ including shipping. for the SET, gold covers, as usual, but they only come with covers).

bpmorton777 said:
Orpheo,

have you owned/played an early 90's LP custom? My brother has one and the pickups tone/output seems close to the SD super distortion PU's in my Hamer. Any thoughts on this?

Brian
I have a '76 and a 99 and a 00 custom, so, no, sorry :) but I never really cared much for gibson picups, never did.

so, the setup of pickups will be something like this (if I fin 200 euro's for the missing pickups)

W. fireburst: jb/jazz set
W. tobaccoburst: prails set
W. koa: prails set
W. purpleburst: duncan distortion/jazz
W. purple quilt: motherbuckers (will get duncan custom in bridge and screamin demon OR customcustom in neck)
W. purpleheart/rosewood: customwound set (duncan custom/JB hybrid with A8 magnet bar+A5 polepieces)
gibson LP custom natural: air norton set
gibson LP custom winered: iommi pickups (will get the motherbuckers if the iommi's are sold)
gibson LP studio winered: bluesbuckers.

Orpheo said:
customwound set (duncan custom/JB hybrid with A8 magnet bar+A5 polepieces)

Is there a pickup you know of that does this? I wonder what the effect of this would be. A normal humbucker doesn't use magnetized pole pieces. Seems to me you'd get a ridiculous amount of string pull - and who knows what else kind of effect. I know with the A8 you already need to back off of the strings a bit, due to the strength of the magnet.

GoDrex said:
Orpheo said:
customwound set (duncan custom/JB hybrid with A8 magnet bar+A5 polepieces)

Is there a pickup you know of that does this? I wonder what the effect of this would be. A normal humbucker doesn't use magnetized pole pieces. Seems to me you'd get a ridiculous amount of string pull - and who knows what else kind of effect. I know with the A8 you already need to back off of the strings a bit, due to the strength of the magnet.

its a design I made with Jon, the guy from tonefordays. If it doesnt work, I can send the pickups back, and we'll tweak the design until it does work. the pickup has been designed to set low. and yeah, he knows it has to go in a 3 pickup les paul :p

the 6 magnetic polepieces will go under the cover, and also, they cancel out a LOT of their magnetic fields, because of their design. But, I've used for quite some time 2 strat singles next to eachother, where 1 had 6 magnetic rods an the other 1 big ceramic bar, and stringpull wasn't really a huge problem (confirming my idea about canceling out those fields).

this is what I think is going on in the PRS 513. three strat style single coils with alnico poles and two bar magnet pickups. Just a guess, nobody who owns one wants to ripp it appart to find out how it works.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
this is what I think is going on in the PRS 513. three strat style single coils with alnico poles and two bar magnet pickups. Just a guess, nobody who owns one wants to ripp it appart to find out how it works.

Brian
indeed, quite a shame. I think the 513 is a great concept, but too bad PRS won't tell us what's really the deal with the guitar. I think the duncan prails are a way for the 'common man' to have a 513-esque guitar (though I dig the prails much more than PRS)

Back