Resistor values for messing around

After tfarny's helpful input on my pickup thread, something like this also interests me in the place of a master tone on a 2-pickup guitar, or maybe I oughta stick with a normal master tone with a q-filter?  I'm like knucklehead though, it's got to be with a normal knob "look"

This just has a normal knob - doesn't look any different at all. I can measure the switch if you're wondering about putting it in a P bass rout - I'm doing one in my upcoming tele so I have the same concern.
1 - true bypass (ie nothing)
2 - .0047uf
3 - .01uf
4 - .022uf
5 - .1uf (this is not for everyone, you start losing volume and its a very muted sound even on bass. "I shot the sherrif" sounds brilliant though)
The pic on the previous page is basically a diagram - you take the hot from the volume that normally goes to tone pot, that goes in the middle (common lug), then put your caps in as above. solder all the other cap ends together and ground em. Really easy actually.
As for the values though the best thing was just to get some alligator clips and wire various caps between the hot and grounds on the output jack, playing different tunes and swapping caps. Your mileage may vary.

tfarny said:
1 - true bypass (ie nothing)
2 - .0047uf
3 - .01uf
4 - .022uf
5 - .1uf (this is not for everyone, you start losing volume and its a very muted sound even on bass. "I shot the sherrif" sounds brilliant though)

Just a note... sometimes very small values are very interesting, adding a bit of flavor, but not color... hard to describe.  You can try doing .001 even, no pot, just .001 to ground.

The other interesting thing - is the bass cut, or lo cut instead of high cut.  Just wire the cap in series, not in parallel with the output.  You'll want to use an Orange drop for that - very very low ESR.  A mylar "may" work.  Ceramic or other caps... higher ESR... wont work as well.  The low ESR lets more signal that is supposed to get thru, thru.  The value...  try .01 .0047 .22  someplace in there.  You can literally make a HB sound just like a single coil if you choose that cap right.

STDC - yes. Smaller values full to ground really don't sound the same as a standard control at 7 or 8 or whatever. Think of the value of the cap as the determinant of the low pass filter frequency cutoff, what you have with say a .047 cap is a lot of mids getting cut in the service of that low pass filter, right from the first turn of your standard tone pot you start to lose the definition that comes from mids. Basically I'm using the positions 2, 3, and 4 with 1 and 5 being more of a special occasion sound. If I were a big slapper I'd love the true bypass setting. 

If I were trying to keep it super simple, I might just have gone with a master volume and on/off/on mini switch for a .01 and .022 cap, I can see that being real useful on a guitar too. But I already had three big holes drilled so this works.

CB - yeah I like the .0047 to ground for that reason. I hated the bass cut settings I tried - it's a P bass after all - what I'm after is that nice rich P bass sound first and foremost.  I can see it on a humbucker guitar for some applications, I guess.

Glad this post is getting some interest, and it's fun to finally have a useful tone control, for sure.  All of these ideas are floating around the internet already of course, most all of this stuff is borrowed from others here and on talkbass.

Back