Removing sanding dust before finishing?

Dolando

I was sanding my zebrawood top Jazz ready for z-poxy and I saw what looked like dust in the pores of the zebrawood. I've used a tack cloth and that's removed all the surface dust, I also tried to use my Vacuum cleaner to suck them out but no change.

Is this just how the wood is, or is there a way to remove it?

Thanks.

Compressed air is the norm I also use a wallpapering brush but finish with the air.
You could take it to where you pump tyres (no telling if they have an air filter & moisture trap on it) if you go that route make sure to wipe with denatured alcohol / meths to degrease.

air compressor, followed by lint free rag with naptha to get ride of grease

Thanks for the replies, I don't really have easy access to an air compressor. Would that do more than using a Hoover over it?

Try using a slightly damp cloth and drag it along the grain, using a clean part of the cloth for each pass.  That should sort it.  Hope this helps.

pabloman said:
Maybe an air duster can?

Thats not a bad idea!

I've started on the back as the ash seemed to look ok, just not sure about the zebrawood. I may also be worrying about nothing...

Lacking compressed air, naptha or denatured ethanol alcohol on a clean, lint free cloth (I recommend a microfiber cloth.)

anorakDan said:
Lacking compressed air, naptha or denatured ethanol alcohol on a clean, lint free cloth (I recommend a microfiber cloth.)

Thanks, any reason for using a microfibre cloth over a normal run of the mill cloth?

Spot on, AutoBat! Less to almost no lint from the rag. Whatever you do, do not use a traditional tack cloth. These are simply cheesecloth soaked in beeswax. They can leave wax on your project, which will most likely interfere with your finish.

I had already used one on the top. Will alcohol and the cloth get rid of any wax,or is it worth a quick light sand all over?

Yep did both and have applied the first coat of z-poxy. The alcohol and the microfibre cloth worked a treat! :)

Great! Now we need pictures. It's not real without pictures! Best of luck with the rest of your build!

Sorry it took a while, but here is a couple of pics of the forst coat of Z-poxy on the zebrawood. It still needs to be sanded, should be able to do that soon...i hope!

Progress can been seen in my Work in Progress topic: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21347.0

Thanks for all the help,

Adam

That looks good.  The color is very nice.
What grit are you using?  I liked the 400....320 when I could find it.

Thanks, I've been using 320 grit. The hardware shop right near me always has it, and its decent quality as well. :)

Back