Developing My Finishing Technique

kjt1776

For a few months now I have been R&Ding finishing products, stains, shellac, poly, and the such.  I am not new to using these products but I am new to finishing guitar bodies so building these products up onto each other with the hope and goal of coming out with a good looking guitar is very much new to me.  Its definitely not like finishing house trim or painting a door lol.  There is truely and art to this so big thumbs up to you guys out there doing it right, you have earned my respect.  After trying out different products I am now finally building a process and was curious if those of you in the know could critique my process and give your opinions.

Working with ash test boards
1. Sand to 220 grit and clean off dust
2. apply wood conditioner to avoid blotchy out come with stains and dyes (this has worked great)
3. sand to 320 grit and clean off dust
4. apply stain/dye with a clean lint free cloth and/or applied with a sponge brush, let sit for 30 seconds and wiped away excess (both techniques have brought good results thankfully)
5. next applied a seal coat - used zinser sanding sealer (2 coats)
6.  light sanding with 320 to bring down any raised grain
7. grain filler (working with aqua coat which is clear) and has produced good results with 2 coats and sanding in between with 320
8. applied another seal coat
9. light sanding with 400 grit
10. applied finish coats of polyurethane, observing in between coats how it builds up and sanding lightly with 800 grit to just buff and take down any unseen hills and valleys till a final thin coat is applied.  This process usually takes me 5 to 6 coats with a gloss poly. 
11.  Buffed with buffing cloth to a nice shine.

This seems to turn out a good piece overall but I know I could refine it and maybe cut my time down a bit and maybe achieve a better overall look.  Just not sure where.  I have thought about using a thinned shellac in place of the seal coat over the stain to help seal and fill some of the grain before using the Aqua Coat. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you to everyone contributing on this board, your knowledge and sharing has helped give me direction.

Sorry Air as I worked through the different finishes I never really took any pics.  I will start doing that in the future.

Back