Sanding tips for spray-paint over poly?

zebra

I'd got a old guitar with a poly finish that I'm planning on spray-painting.  It's an older guitar that's been beaten up a bit and is chippy, so I'm planning on sanding it down a bit to even things out.  Deep enough to remove the top color coats, but not so deep to remove the clear base coat.  (It's a crappy plywood body - otherwise I'd go down to the wood and finish with tung oil.)

After evening out the surface with a more aggressive grit, how fine a grit should I go until it's ready to spray? 
Seems like it should be smooth enough to allow for consistent coating, but not so smooth that the paint doesn't adhere well.

I found a couple other threads about the spray-painting itself, so I feel ok about that part.
But if anyone wants to throw in so extra hints, I'd appreciate it!

I final sand with 320 before starting to spray and also use 320 for between coat level sanding.

Out of curiosity, would there be any chemical compatibility issues with paint over poly?  Just want to take mental notes in case I do this myself in the future.

I don't think so - Poly is pretty inert stuff.  My main worry would be getting whatever you're using to stick to it  :)

Back