Quilted Maple Pickguards?

dabluesman

Anyone know if Warmoth can make a custom quilted maple pickguard for a strat?  I think a black dye finish quilted maple pickguard would be awesome on a black strat body..

Search wood pickguard on google and you'll find a bunch of places. Also there are people in the tech section who have said they would do it.

http://www.woodguarden.com/
tn_100_2306.jpg

IMG_2842.JPG

:cool01: :cool01: :cool01: :cool01:

Just wondering if there'd be shrinkage issues witha  thin laminate of quilt maple?

I can recall reading somewhere that wood would shrink over time (as the moisture goes out of it) or can swell if it got damp. I can imagine a pickguard made of wood would have to be sealed on both sides to ensure no moisture from sweat got underneath it and swelled up the wood. :dontknow:

OzziePete said:
Just wondering if there'd be shrinkage issues witha  thin laminate of quilt maple?

I can recall reading somewhere that wood would shrink over time (as the moisture goes out of it) or can swell if it got damp. I can imagine a pickguard made of wood would have to be sealed on both sides to ensure no moisture from sweat got underneath it and swelled up the wood. :dontknow:
It depends on if it's naked wood, or if it has been finished with something. I believe a satin finish would do the job closing the crain.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It just made sense to me.

That is Fender's "midnight wine" color, kind of purpleish burgundy.  I haven't seen many of these, it's a difficult color to match up with anything.  I was trying to bring the rosewood fretboard color down into the body, it kind of worked.  Anyways I like the grain, and the new unique overall look.  As far as a change in tone goes, I cant really tell since I had the guitar completely re-set up and rewired but some swear that wood guards sound different than pearloid or non-wood guards.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Sounds like something Big Beard would do.  Is he still around, or is he gone again?

Big Beard would do it.  But he got banned....

He has a page on Facebook, search big beard custom guitars there and you can find him.

Uncle John's Band Fan said:
Nightclub Dwight said:
Sounds like something Big Beard would do.  Is he still around, or is he gone again?

He has a page on Facebook, search big beard custom guitars there and you can find him.

Banned again? I think that is twice

ocguy106 said:
Nightclub Dwight said:

for what?

Here is an update, I ordered this blackburst quilted maple pickguard from Gilroy Guitars in Australia.  I'm going to get another one for my blacked out strat.  These things look awesome!

Gilroy1.jpg
Gilroy2.jpg

Kyler (JamesL) said:
ocguy106 said:
Nightclub Dwight said:

for what?

Who keeps banning him. The guy is a complete legend, and I found his content in no way to be offensive...  :icon_scratch:

This is a guitar building board and we have quite a few minors on here that are active contributors as well. Coming here and bragging about illicit drug use really has no place. I am sure there are many other boards for that but in reality it has no place here as it doesn't add to the content. He had been warned many times the first time and I am sure warned a fair amount the second. He lives the life of a true Dead Head and it works for him just doesn't really work for this board.

Back