Quilt Maple S Style

drewriviera

Here is my new Warmoth S style to replace my Carvin Bolt that had an awful Wilkinson VS100 tremolo on it. I got this since I could not find another company that offered the Floyd angled pocket. The specs are as follows:

3A Birdseye Warhead standard thin PRO construction neck w/black ebony fretboard. Warmoth radius with 6105 frets

Copperhead quilt maple top w/black back. Alder body. This was a showcase item. Rout for Floyd angled pocket, universal pickups and battery box

White EMG SA/SA/85 with SPC

Gold hardware

Floyd Rose original tremolo

Schaller locking tuners

:help: I haven't done a custom guitar since the mid 90's when I did a Warmoth V. I was wondering if someone could help me with the shielding? I have shielding paint but I did the other one with tape. How far do I need to extend the paint? Into the tremolo cavity? Into the battery box cavity? What should the paint not come into contact with? Thank you

In your case, since you'll be using EMG active pickups, you do not need to bother with shielding. At all.

"Awful VS-100"? What was wrong with your unit ?

Otherwise, congrats on receiving your parts, looks like you made fine choices. I hope you'll post pics of the completed guitar when it's done.

I just hated the action of the Wilkinson. To me, it was kind of lifeless and stiff. I don't divebomb really, but I could never get it set to a happy medium even adding small vibrato to chords and such. To get the subtle vibrato I always had to move it up and down an extreme amount. (Even with 3 springs in the back and tons of adjustments that I did to it) It also didn't really have enough heft to be really stable since from time to time I put part of my hand on the bridge, which I know I shouldn't do with a tremolo anyway. The gold plating on the Wilkinson started peeling as soon as I laid eyes on it! Other than that tremolo, I loved the Carvin and was looking for a close replacement while getting options that they didn't offer. All of the Warmoth stuff is top quality and the staff are very helpful as well!
I appreciate the info about the EMG's not having to be shielded. I had read that the ground did not need to be hooked to the bridge using EMG's, but I did not know that you did not have to shield any part of the cavity...that should make it easy then! I will definitely post some pics of it finished.

Back