Quilt/Canary VW "Shredder"

jackthehack

Epic Member
Body: Quilted maple on extra light (3.0 lbs) swamp ash, Warmoth factory Honeyburst finish, Wilkinson tremolo, all black hardware

Neck: Warmoth Pro 10/16, jet black ebony on canary, 1 5/8" graphite nut, 6130 nickel frets, Planet Waves autotrim tuners, MOP dots

Electronics: Rio Grande "Big Bottom" set (Tallboy in neck, Muy Grande in bridge), 500K CTS push-push vol/tone pots wired to coil tap pickups, .047 mylar cap

All the kids that play around with my girlfriend's son's band want this axe, we'll see you can save up their pennies first... The Rio Grande "Big Bottom" set is the LOUDEST set of humbuckers I've ever used; curiously, when coil tapped they have a sound more akin to "normal" 'buckers than single coils.

vwfin1.JPG

vwfin2.JPG

Better shot of nice red streaking in the canary grain

vwfin3.JPG

vwfin4.JPG

Note Volume pot in "up" split coil mode

vwfin5.JPG

This is a cool guitar... Not at all what I'd build, but who cares? Striking, consistent styling and a really cool neck! The magnets on that Muy Grande look brutal  :glasses9:

Great build from concept to execution. Wasn't this the body you bought just because it was too cheap to not buy? You've really built a focused, mean machine around it.
Shred away Jack!  :party07: :guitarplayer2: :headbang1: :headbang1:

kboman said:
This is a cool guitar... Not at all what I'd build, but who cares? Striking, consistent styling and a really cool neck! The magnets on that Muy Grande look brutal  :glasses9:

They are, the set is easily at least a pound heavier than a regular set of humbuckers. Surprisingly, the tone on the Muy Grande is mellower than I expected, despite the fact that it's EXTREMELY loud. I was expecting it to be more treblely/harsh, but it's not at all. Would make a great choice if you were doing one of those single pickup/single knob kind of builds.

"Great build from concept to execution. Wasn't this the body you bought just because it was too cheap to not buy?"

Yes, was one of the last "fire sale" VWs in the Showcase. I'm not a shredder myself, but so far everyone that is desperately wants to possess it.

Very nice! I usually don't like VW's that much, but this is the nicest I have ever seen!
I love the Canary.........I now wonder how canary would sound/look on a hollow Walnut strat... :icon_scratch: haven't even completed my current project and already planning my next.. typical W addict symptom ;)

"I now wonder how canary would sound/look on a hollow Walnut strat..."

Don't know, but the canary on ebony necks I've used so far sound pretty close tone-wise to maple to me.

WOW, that's really nice!

My compliments on a great looking guitar, and good choice in features!

Note back on something I've gotten a couple of PMs on; like on some other body styles, factory options for control placement(s) weren't what I wanted, so I ordered Strat X-T-T holes and placed/drilled the 1/2" hole or the 3 way switch myself, centered in the relief for a Strat 5-way that's in the control cavity.

Back