quick question: pots and cap for 5-string bass

Vallhagen

Hi all.

A friend is building an electric 5-string fretless bass. The chosen/bought pickup is a Seymour Duncan SMB-5D (http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/music-man-5-strg-ceramic).

The wiring of choice is as simple as it gets: one volume, one tone.

Now, I have done my googling, though I find it surprisingly hard to find some fairly unambiguous info, so the question is: What value(s) shall I choose for the pots and cap? I have 500k pots at hand, and a bag full of caps.

Opinions appreciated:)

Cheers!
/Bengt

and... pics of the build process? it will come:)

Thanx Axkoa, perfect. As a followup question (rather statement), I take for granted that there's no difference in tone-cap choice because it is a 5-string, right?

I should really start a thread about the build(s), but a quickie as you ask about specs;

We're a bunch of guys (rather old men... "the band" + one) who gather together - once a week since some month - in a schools woodcrafts classroom (one of the guys is a crafts teacher) to build some stringed instruments, that's four guitars and one bass. We ordered necks (three Warmoth, two others) and some sweet black limba wood blanks found on e-bay.

The bass spec:

Neck: Warmoth Deluxe 5 Paddle; 34", 5-string straight paddle headstock, fretless, installed nut, wood: rosewood on goncalo alves (I have to doublecheck the woodchoice, i'll be back if that was wrong...).

Body: Black Limba.

Hardware: A black Schaller 3D-5 bridge, pickup Seymour Duncan SMB-5D, black metal dome knobs.. I don't remember brand/model of tuners.

Cheers!

Back