Gecko 5 string bass Neck Dimensions help

Poppy

Hello all, new member here, patiently waiting for my neck to arrive for my first build...
Can anyone tell me a few approximate dimensions on this neck? I'm planning to build the laminated body myself, and currently in search of 'the piece' of top wood. I have the body shape template roughed in, but need a few neck measurements to complete the template:
▪︎Length of the angled neck pocket heel extension from the 24th fret
▪︎Length of fretboard (nut to 24th... 26.25"?)
▪︎Headstock Length

This is a Gecko Medium 5 String Bass neck.

Thanks in advance for your help friends. I've modded several guitars in the past, but this will be my first build. Something I've wanted to do for years, and finally decided I've waited long enough!

Jeff

Well, I emailed Joe a couple days ago, but haven't heard back yet. Thought someone on here might have the numbers readily available from their memory banks.
Always go to the source. Email Warmoth support.

Last edited:
Hello all, new member here, patiently waiting for my neck to arrive for my first build...
Can anyone tell me a few approximate dimensions on this neck? I'm planning to build the laminated body myself, and currently in search of 'the piece' of top wood. I have the body shape template roughed in, but need a few neck measurements to complete the template:
▪︎Length of the angled neck pocket heel extension from the 24th fret
▪︎Length of fretboard (nut to 24th... 26.25"?)
▪︎Headstock Length

This is a Gecko Medium 5 String Bass neck.

Thanks in advance for your help friends. I've modded several guitars in the past, but this will be my first build. Something I've wanted to do for years, and finally decided I've waited long enough!

Jeff
Headstock (8")
Nut to 24 (26-1/4")
24 to end of neck heel (2-7/16")

Hope this helps you Poppy.

Yes! Thank you Knorris!
I am designing the body right now, and needing to roughly locate the neck pocket on my template to check balance and clearance, and to select the right piece of top wood.
Just curious, why worry about the headstock length?
Rick,
To ensure I have a long enough piece of top wood to overlay the headstock;
Also to get a rough measurement of the overall guitar length as I'm making a custom case for it as well.

Thanks!

While I've not made my own case, I customized a case to fit my VIP. My advise would be to wait until you're done making the guitar before making the case. There will be little nuances you can't foresee.

While I've not made my own case, I customized a case to fit my VIP. My advise would be to wait until you're done making the guitar before making the case. There will be little nuances you can't foresee.
Yes I will. Just thinking it through at this point. Do I want to add a storage compartment, etc etc. Found some cloth for it already. Thanks for the advice.

Here's my case build thread. Note the kind of velvet and the kind of foAm.

Very nice! Love the black velvet. Makes that burst glow in the dark. Beautiful guitar too bro.

According to the sales clerks, the best out of what they had for the application was high end rayon velvet. The faux fur was too hard to work with, felt was too rough and it had to be compatible with the glue.

Also you want foam that's compatible with the glue w I th the right crush weight.

Last edited:
That's not bad, actually. Many of us lived through Pandemic Shipping. It was brutal. 😊
Oh my... I'm going stir crazy now... couldn't imagine those delays. I'm chomping to get started, but it's gonna take me forever I know. Not something I can rush, besides, patience is a virtue...

Yeah, we had a thread going on for a while (before the forum rebuild) where we'd post when we ordered something then use it to track when it shipped and when it arrived at our doors. Lead times of 4 months at the time was considered pretty good. :) And that's if everything goes perfectly during production. Unfortunately, some products wouldn't pass QA, so they'd have to go back to the line and start over.

And that caused some marvelous melodramatic posts from other smug know-it-all forum members with heightened senses of entitlement and superiority trying to drum up sympathy (needless to say, that ploy didn't work and they no longer post here 🤣)

Yeah, we had a thread going on for a while (before the forum rebuild) where we'd post when we ordered something then use it to track when it shipped and when it arrived at our doors. Lead times of 4 months at the time was considered pretty good. :) And that's if everything goes perfectly during production. Unfortunately, some products wouldn't pass QA, so they'd have to go back to the line and start over.

And that caused some marvelous melodramatic posts from other smug know-it-all forum members with heightened senses of entitlement and superiority trying to drum up sympathy (needless to say, that ploy didn't work and they no longer post here 🤣)
Wait... you mean if the big brown truck doesn't show up by Jan 15th, then me sending a video to Warmoth of myself kicking and screaming and crying, laying in the middle of the floor stomping my feet like Opie's friend on Andy Griffith won't work...?

I'm watching this one. Really interested in how you do your case. Post lots of pics!

Ned you Crack me up.
Rick, thanks. Will be a while tho.
Teaser...
I plan (hope) to build a few before I pass on. Each will be named along a specific theme...
This first one is named Lion of Judah. I purchased some faux animal fur for the case yesterday.

Back