Purple Dye Quilt Top Dusty Hill (ish) Tribute

photoguy

Oh boy! Here we go........
'51 Deluxe 5 PBass body with a tummy cut. Bound in Pearloid. Neck is Deluxe 5. Reverse tele headstock. 1-7/8" nut width to feel similar to my Geckos. Also Pearloid bound. Getting a Hipshot A bridge, a Music Man active P/U from Duncan. Hey, these are stainless steel frets!! Pearloid rear cavity cover, too.

Attachments

• ZZBody.jpg
    ZZBody.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 360
  • ZZBody-2.jpg
    ZZBody-2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 273
  • ZZBody-3.jpg
    ZZBody-3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 318
  • ZZNeck.jpg
    ZZNeck.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 359
  • ZZNeck-2.jpg
    ZZNeck-2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 290
  • ZZNeck-3.jpg
    ZZNeck-3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 279
Employee discount treatin' ya all right, photoguy?

That's a swanky collection of festooned lumber ya got there.  Congratulations!

Well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! :laughing7: I'll get some in progress shots up soon.

That is beautiamously gorgeastic!!!  Dusty might be PM'ing you to make ya an offer!  :laughing7:

Couple of build pics:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 253
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 235
Lotta knobs for a single pickup, though.

You know, Cage, I'm glad you noticed that. The way I see it, I turn one knob most of the time. If (for some reason) that knob breaks off or ceases to give me the Purple tone that I was obviously going for with this particular build, I can quickly turn another knob (Yes, even ON the fly) and hope that the elusive purple tone comes out.

They ARE NOT just for looks!!!

Interesting. Now if you could just install some extra strings, like they do on some guitars, you'd never get caught wanting <grin>

Mmm, I think when I get myself a Warmoth body it's going to have to be purple dye or purple-to-clear. So sexy!

Thats gonna look awesome once you get the fur glued on.

Glued on fur is too messy. I ordered three strap-on Santa Claus beards that are quickly removable should the ever popular 'bass solo' rear its ugly head! I can't truly get any tapping speed whilst trying to flip my beards out of the way.

Purple dye is the best. I wondered if the pearloid binding would be too much, but.........NOPE! Just enough.

Cagey said:
ihnpts said:
Yowza - that is GORGEOUS!

It sure is! Lotta knobs for a single pickup, though.

Ya know it really isn't.  With multiple pickups, you get multiple sounds, so you don't need extra knobs.  With just with one pickup, you get more sounds with the knobs.

I have a EBMM Sterling; one pickup, 4 knobs, and blade switch that does series/split/parallel.  Great configuration.  That one pickup gets a lot of good sounds.  That Stingray type pickup is the only single pickup'd instrument that's never seemed limited by one pickup.  My Precision basses, I've always added another pickup by comparison.

BTW, what kind of preamp is that, and did you choose the layout or was it prefabbed on a board with a control template included?  I've wanted to add a preamp to a bass but can't find one that isn't prewired.  I want to choose where the pots go and not used stacked pots.  Plus, like with the Sterling I mentioned earlier, I have a few pots starting to get scratchy, and individual pot replacement is just about impossible because it's one prewired unit.

Lovely bass, by the way.

Hey STDC,

It is the preamp that comes with that P/U from Seymour Duncan. All prewired. Never had an issue with pots before. I've got this same system in 4 Geckos as well as in the purple one. I like how they sound. I like the diversity. I like the bottom end. It's kinda like a Big Mac. You know exactly what it's gonna taste like. Very predictable. Our FOH guy appreciates that.

I love the MM pickups, but would only want just the single volume knob, would rather have all of the rest of the pots as trim pots on the circuit board, set it, forget it, and only use the volume knob.

Either way, Sweet Build Schroeder! :hello2: :eek:ccasion14:

Back