Post Your Satin Nitro Maple Neck Pics Here

Perry Combover

I see pics of gloss finishes on maple necks posted here on a regular basis.  Is the satin nitro finish on maple necks not very popular, or are they just not shown off very much?  I'd like to see what it looks like and hear your opinions on how it feels.

It is a popular option, but since it looks and feels very much like raw wood, there's not much to show off....

After three raw necks my last one is a maple neck with satin nitro finish. So far I prefer the feel compared to the raw necks.

I've got 4 maple necks in satin nitro.  The're honestly nothing to write home about in the looks department.

Feel nice though.  Be warned that they will eventually polish up.  Still feel nice like that.

Mayfly said:
I've got 4 maple necks in satin nitro.  The're honestly nothing to write home about in the looks department.

Feel nice though.  Be warned that they will eventually polish up.  Still feel nice like that.

So basically, after some time your hand will polish the nitro up, but it will still feel like satin?

I have found that satin poly stays satin much longer than nitro.

Any nitro will shine up with wear.

Perry Combover said:
Mayfly said:

So basically, after some time your hand will polish the nitro up, but it will still feel like satin?

Nope, the satiny feel goes away.  Still like the necks though.  Perhaps I'm not fussy.

I'm glad that so many folks seem to like the satin nitro since it's too late for me to change my order anyway.  :icon_biggrin:

The satin is great! Definitely the way to go with a neck that needs a finish in my opinion.

I've got a satin nitro finish on maple. I got it October last year, been playing it probably on average a half hour a day. It's just starting to gloss up a little bit and some of the maple figuring is starting to pop out (a little bit of flame!).

Honestly, I'm not noticing it being much of a problem. It happens over such a long period of time that I haven't even noticed it feeling different, until I remember when it was new it would almost slip out of my hands when I picked it up.

Frankly, I'm not that picky about the feel either.  I have 13 guitars and basses and they have many different finishes, but they are all fun to play.  I am, however, a little vain with my next build since it is a 3A neck and fretboard.  I just want her to still be purdy.  :toothy10:

Perry Combover said:
I am, however, a little vain with my next build since it is a 3A neck and fretboard.  I just want her to still be purdy.  :toothy10:

Then you'll love the satin! I have a very lightly flamed neck with the satin nitro and it's starting to amber up an show off the flame a little more now. I really love the look

I've got two ''satin'' necks and within a month of use each was glossy. Warmoth basically don't spray an actual satin clear, they seem to just spray on gloss but not buff it. Very disappointing. I've re-satined them by misting a matte coat over the top. What I'm now doing is not ordering any finish at all and simply misting on several coats of (actual) satin lacquer. It takes longer, since each coat is thinner, but you end up with a finish as protective as a regular one and it will never wear glossy unless you really go to town on it with buffing compound.

I think I will post a photo...
this is just the entire guitar...satin***.  As you can see there is a lot of sun in this photo, not much reflection.
I will post of close up of the neck when I get home.

***satin poly...not nitro.  It does not shine up like nitro does.
DSC00143.jpg

Pictures of my Jazz Bass neck, out of the box.
Like the others said, it becomes shiny/glossy after some use.
But it still feels very comfortable.

33k3a15.jpg

2mhgdo4.jpg

6rpppd.jpg

2wgf4hs.jpg

My maple/maple was the first "W" neck I bought. I love it - however I don't love it as the two raw wood necks that followed I will not buy another.

DSC00482-1-1.jpg

I have 4:
(1) Clear Satin 3A Birdseye/Birdseye Warmoth Pro Tele
(1) Clear Satin Maple/RW Jazz Bass neck
(1) Vintage Tint Satin Maple/RW Jazz Bass neck
(1) Vintage Tint Satin Birdseye Maple/Pao Ferro Jazz Bass neck

The newest is never used, uninstalled.  The oldest is 4 years old with heavy use and actual wear through the nitro.  I'll post pics soon.

Back