Post what you're listening to!

I used to go down to that dive bar (the one with the country band), get out of the apartment, nurse a $2 beer for an hour, listen to some good music, hang out with the bar flies. Sometimes the Missus would come along. I think that place is out of biz now, Good old Hank's Saloon. I don't have a place like that anymore. Now we go to the Egg ...

Saw them in brooklyn a million years ago.

I remember the first time I saw it, I said what the hell is that it looks like a space station. And they said it was the state capitol. It's Brutalist Architecture, and Rocky filled the capitol with bureaucrats, lichtenstiens and calder mobiles with a big reflecting pool like in brazilia ... it's nuts. You can't say the guy didn't have vision though.

Yes ... the quick drive from Dallas to Albany.

Last edited:
How about some 1977
Is he any relation of Mark Egan, the bassist? He looks mighty similar, at least in that still from the Magnet and Steel video. Mark Egan has the honor of claiming a unique voice on the fretless bass despite breaking big during the Jaco era, and is worth a lesson. He'll turn your head around, if you're a fusion-head of the Weather Report/Pat Metheny ilk.
Here's an instructional video from 1989:

So anyway, this is what I was listening to before I went down the Mark Egan rabbithole:

For my money, Jerry Douglas is just the nuts. I don't think there's anyone else on the planet who can intonate and articulate more perfectly. And as he demonstrates here with Derek Trucks, he can improvise beautifully in non-western modes.

captain-america-steve-rogers.gif

Bela Fleck leads a group of miraculously able players, including the aforementioned Jerry Douglas, but check out Danny Thompson on bass. who never disappoints; and dig the tin whistle player who shines in the ride-out, Michael McGoldrick.

Okay, just one more: Jerry Douglas takes a solo turn at an Alison Krauss & Union Station show. Sublime.

I love Buckethead's music, and the way he subverts the guitar-hero culture by being this blank character who refuses to play along with the rest of us in the fame game; but it must be exhausting to spend so much time in character. Truly a weird dude. I bought the Praxis Mutatis Mutandis album on a whim when it came out because I dug some other Bill Laswell stuff I had heard, and he really turned my head around. God bless him and his miraculously weird guitar playing.

Back