Post What Jazz You're Listening To

Two generations of mad scientist jazz guitar-ing:  Mary Halvorson, who is an absolute adventurer, and Bill Frisell, about whom insufficient language of praise exists.

[youtube]iqhn1wL4woQ[/youtube]

Simon Phillips & Protocol: 30th Anniversary Tour - Leverkusener Jazztage 2019

Tracklist:
00:21 - Celtic Run
08:42 - Solitaire
16:26 - You Can't But You Can
24:47 - Circle Seven
37:21 - Moments Of Fortune
48:22 - Midair Decision
● Personnel:
Simon Phillips - drums
Otmaro Ruiz - keyboards
Ernest Tibbs - bass
Alex Sill - guitar
Jacob Scesney - sax

Last edited:
Sing Sing Sing - The Jazz Ambassadors - US Army Band... these guys can play...

Last edited:
Have been enjoying Norman Brown lately.... very good player in the Benson style....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciETWgUQNVE

Holy moly, why have I never heard of Phil deGruy?

[youtube]705ue7WY6P4[/youtube]

[youtube]-1WteWm5q_Y[/youtube]

[youtube]tDiTTxbOL9U[/youtube]

Here he talks about his guitar, but then gives a lovely arrangement of McCartney's "Blackbird":
[youtube]GVqUMVDOabg[/youtube]

You search for it - LUCKY CHOPS. 6 piece brass band from New York. All of them are asskickers, especially the baritone sax guy. He must drink about 15 Red Bulls before a show because he never stops moving. These cats are incredible.

Holy smokes.  Jerry Granelli, sole surviving member of the Vince Guaraldi Trio that recorded the CHarlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, continues to perform. Here he is with his trio doing "Linus and Lucy" and just killing it.  The man hasn't lost a step and he's nearly 80.  Sublime music.

[youtube]OODA_K5hxyc[/youtube]

Not trad jazz, but it is soulful, jazzy and sounds good so here it is...

Sade - The Sweetest Taboo (Official Live Video From San Diego)

No Ordinary Love, from the same concert.

Last edited:
John McLaughlin circa mid-1980's on the Tonight Show, swinging like there's no tomorrow.

[youtube]Om6HDUKBbzE[/youtube]

The Joscho Stephan Trio do the jazz-manouche thing to "Hey Joe".  Fun!

[youtube]KEMWTyO8iXQ[/youtube]

I Saw John McLaughlin, al dimeola and paco  delacia in ... 1981.  It was an epiphany.

Rick said:
I Saw John McLaughlin, al dimeola and paco  delacia in ... 1981.  It was an epiphany.

I am sure it was. Friday Night in San Francisco is a great album with them on.

Post something for others to see or listen to.

Speaking of McLaughlin, I caught the San Francisco show of this tour a few weeks after the one depicted in this video.  Truly a peak concertgoing experience for me.  The SF show is now released as a CD, I believe.

[youtube]ZPWa9F4UBQQ[/youtube]

Pat Metheny's "Wide and Far," from his album 'From This Place,' due February 21, 2020, on Nonesuch Records.

Last edited:
Haven't caught a new Metheny track in a while, that record sounds like I'll be buying it.

Well, heck.  I never knew Stephane Grapelli played piano.  But here he is, layin' it down.

[youtube]tHlg781uZNE[/youtube]

Back