Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

I think this counts as both heavy and progressive. I've been listening to Marco Minneman for years, but Mohini Dey is new to my ears, and she is an absolute monster. They play with such joy, these two!

I think I would put this more in modern Jazz / Fusion, probably. Takadimi that she is scatting is part of a system for building rhythm skills for anyone that may have wondered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takadimi

Thanks, my friend. What you are hearing is konnakol, which is similar to the Takadimi, but is actually much older.

I'll leave off with the non-heavy, non-prog analysis here, though.

I think this counts as both heavy and progressive. I've been listening to Marco Minneman for years, but Mohini Dey is new to my ears, and she is an absolute monster. They play with such joy, these two!
Talking about Minnemann, I am going to check one of my favorite bands - The Aristocrats - this Saturday.

Thanks, my friend. What you are hearing is konnakol, which is similar to the Takadimi, but is actually much older.

I'll leave off with the non-heavy, non-prog analysis here, though.

You are correct, there is a link to konnakol from the Takadimi page I linked also, I heard the word takadimi in the scat which I thought she was referring to. Either way not the catchiest of lyrics :)

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (G3 Live In Concert)

Pretty cool stuff. I'm not sure that I would classify it as "heavy" or "progressive", though. I've never been one to put things into categories very often, so it's difficult for me to say with any certainty that it is not what you claim it to be ... ;)

I'm still kicking myself for not going to see Vai when he was playing relatively close by recently.

Pretty cool stuff. I'm not sure that I would classify it as "heavy" or "progressive", though. I've never been one to put things into categories very often, so it's difficult for me to say with any certainty that it is not what you claim it to be ... ;)

I'm still kicking myself for not going to see Vai when he was playing relatively close by recently.

It is numerous years now since I saw him, but Vai is well worth going to see if you get the chance.

The song My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama, is a Zappa song and would fall into Hard Rock, Comedy or Experimental Rock. I started this thread with a different title, which I had to change as US forum members had a different definition of what was meant. But it definitely fits into the broader generally guitar-based hard/heavier rock definition that I intended.

Last edited:
Is that Eric Johnson with the red ES-335?!?! I did not expect to see him mixing it up with Vai and Satriani (though he certainly holds his own in that shred-fest).
Eric Johnson was in the original (first) G3 lineup in 1996, and that same lineup will be touring again in 2024.

I can't get enough of Steven Wilson's "Hand Cannot Erase". Masterful concept album with some breathtaking Guthrie solos, specifically in Regret #9 and Ancestral.

Additionally, I've been doing a lot of Leprous lately.

Black Country Communion - "With You I Go" - Official Visualizer

2 Feb 2024
For the first time ever you can stream "With You I Go," wherever you love to listen to music! Previously exclusive to vinyl, this special track is now accessible to everyone.

I had the pleasure to experience the Classic Rock Show in Helsinki, Finland last night. They have traditionally been touring only in the UK, but have now extended the tour to the wider Europe - and next month they will be in the US. I usually don’t go to see cover bands, but these guys play everything from Eagles to AC/DC, and do it very well. One of the main drivers for me was to see Pete Thorn live, a guy who’s career I have been following for a decade. Go check them out!

Back