Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

I know it's Aprils fools day, but Grunge derivatives should be posted in the generic thread.

Last edited:
I know it's Aprils fools day, but Grunge derivatives should be posted in the generic thread.

I saw these as, if anything, crossovers - they sound pretty rock-ish to me. And you used the term derivative - they're by no means pure grunge, especially Scream. Cornell's previous band, Soundgarden, was an 80s band. Audioslave's self titled debut album was released in 2002, and Cornell's solo album Scream didn't appear until 2009, both well after the grunge heyday. Modern rock is heavily influenced by grunge, or the "Seattle sound", but it was pretty much defunct when these albums were made. Google has this to say about the grunge movement and sound: "It officially died in July 30, 1996, after Alice in Chains performed on MTV Unplugged". Maybe a lot of what you hear as grunge is The timbre of Cornell's voice, which is intricately associated with that music.

Last edited:
I saw these as, if anything, crossovers - they sound pretty rock-ish to me. And you used the term derivative - they're by no means pure grunge, especially Scream. Cornell's previous band, Soundgarden, was an 80s band. Audioslave's self titled debut album was released in 2002, and Cornell's solo album Scream didn't appear until 2009, both well after the grunge heyday. Modern rock is heavily influenced by grunge, or the "Seattle sound", but it was pretty much defunct when these albums were made. Google has this to say about the grunge movement and sound: "It officially died in July 30, 1996, after Alice in Chains performed on MTV Unplugged". Maybe a lot of what you hear as grunge is The timbre of Cornell's voice, which is intricately associated with that music.

Chris Cornell was one of the people who started grunge; hence, I associate his roots or something influenced by it as being derivative with that music. However, his music is described it is neither mainstream Heavy nor Progressive, more alternative rock.

Last edited:
Chris Cornell was one of the people who started grunge; hence, I associate his roots or something influenced by it as being derivative with that music. However, his music is described it is neither mainstream Heavy nor Progressive, more alternative rock.
Yeah, I can agree it's alt rock. It's pretty heavy alt rock, I thought it was heavy enough to have a place here. Will try to adhere more closely to your definition.

As Rush is not touring any longer, I have listened to the best Rush cover band every now and then.

Back