PLEASE HELP?!? Humbucker Series/Parallel wiring push/pull

veets987

Hello all.  I am very confused.  I am rewiring my 72 tele deluxe with new Creamery Wide Range pickups and adding a push/pull on my volume knobs to go between series and parallel. These pickups are specifically made with 4 way wiring for this setup.  I found a few schematics to do this.  Weird thing is I have two that say they are for the same thing but they do not match at all.  Am I missing something?  Which one should i use?  Is there multiple ways to wire this to get the same end result?

I have attached both and would appreciate any input on this. 

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 2h_2v_2t_3w_sspDuncan.jpg
    2h_2v_2t_3w_sspDuncan.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,796
  • guitarelectronicseriesparallel.jpg
    guitarelectronicseriesparallel.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 4,359
Hi, the first one will definately work, I've used that one before. Looking at the second one I think this would also work, allthough I think this option is less obvious. I'dd go for the first one, since it's easier to comprehand, but you also might want to consider the option of using both single coils on the pickups as well, as shown on this p-rails wiring by Seymour Duncan (rails would be south single coil and P-90 would be north single coil I guess).

Thank you so much for your reply.  So it sounds like there are multiple ways to do this to get the same result of the series/parallel wiring. 

I will take a look at the PRails one you mentioned also.

Thanks!

awesome!  Thanks for all the help.  I wired it with the second schematic already and have a issue with the bridge pickup sounding very thin and harsh., pretty much unusable, Sounds out of phase or something.  I'm going to swap the green and white wire (North and South Finish) and see if that fixes it.  If so, then they wired the pickup backwards at the shop.

Thanks again!

What pickups did you use? Please note that the Seymour Duncan wiring colors are probably different from the colors used by other brands. I have an overview of pickup color codes for some brands if you'd like.

Bagman67 said:
In the original post he refers to Creamery WRHB pups.  The Creamery is a boutique winder in the UK.

http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/

Correct Bagman67.  I did convert the color coding for the schematic i used.  It was also mentioned by Jaime at The Creamery that if the wire swap doesnt work that i might have a dead coil.  Hoping that's not the case.

This is the color codes for The Creamery pickups..:

My 4-Way Wiring Colour Codes

1st coil: END/HOT: Green or Yellow  |  START/GROUND: Black  |  POLARITY: South Up

2nd Coil: START/GROUND: Red  |  END/HOT: White  |  POLARITY: North Up

Hoping to get to it tonight or tomorrow and let you all know the outcome.  Appreciate the input!

Good luck, I'm looking to do the same tonight with mine. I was very close to buying an upgrade from the Creamery but couldn't wait, so I ordered one of the clones from Mojotone. I bet they're pretty similar. The thing I'm stuck on is whether or not to go with parallel or split. I'm not installing a switch, instead it'll be a push/pull or, more interestingly, a blend pot.

Will wiring a blend pot be generally the same as what'd be done with a push pull?

Here's the blend wiring, just doing this on my neck PU. A pic of my blend pot and the wiring from StewMac. Based on the Duncan wiring am I right in saying the red and white wires would each go to seperate middle lugs on my blend? ...everything else will be good. Hope it's that simple. Just blending between full output and the other option (parallel or split, haven't decided).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 391
BobbyJohnson said:
Here's the blend wiring, just doing this on my neck PU. A pic of my blend pot and the wiring from StewMac. Based on the Duncan wiring am I right in saying the red and white wires would each go to seperate middle lugs on my blend? ...everything else will be good. Hope it's that simple. Just blending between full output and the other option (parallel or split, haven't decided).

I would leave those grounds off of the blend pot. You're going to decrease the output impedance with the load of those extra pots in the circuit, if you ground the pots. A lot of players find that blend pots have a better taper when left ungrounded, as well.

Original Schematics do look to be doing the same thing.

One is keeping 1 pickup to one pot where second is doing the switching across two pots. I would think the first would be a cleaner setup.

Don't know if you have the capability to use. Seymour Duncan does make those pretty cool Triple Shot mounting rings which makes splitting, in out of phase etc. look pretty damn easy. Never tried them myself.

Decided to abandon the blend pot for the neck pickup. Going with a push/pull like the original poster. When you finish let us know how it goes. Curious if anyone out there has gone with a split option instead with this pickup and their opinion.

I'll still attempt the blend pot on my bridge pickup, however I have the Tele Custom so it's a standard single coil (SD Quarter Pound). It's tapped and had VERY high output, somewhere around 17k, tapped is around 8.5k I believe so it should be easier to hook that up to a blend pot in place of th tone. We'll see...

DslDwg said:

One is keeping 1 pickup to one pot where second is doing the switching across two pots. I would think the first would be a cleaner setup.

Don't know if you have the capability to use. Seymour Duncan does make those pretty cool Triple Shot mounting rings which makes splitting, in out of phase etc. look pretty damn easy. Never tried them myself.

Thank you very much for the confirmation on this.  Those mounting rings looks pretty sweet but doesn't look like it would work on the guitar im working with.  I'm doing this to a 72 tele deluxe so there is no mounting ring used just the pickguard. 

well it appears one of the coils is dead on the bridge pickup so am going to have to send it back and get it replaced.  It sucks since the builder is in the UK so who knows how long it will take...

veets987 said:
DslDwg said:

Thank you very much for the confirmation on this.  Those mounting rings looks pretty sweet but doesn't look like it would work on the guitar im working with.  I'm doing this to a 72 tele deluxe so there is no mounting ring used just the pickguard.

Im digging those things too...I know they wouldn't fit on our Teles as is but I'd be curious if they'd still work/look sorta cool if you cut the three sides off leaving just that end with the chip/wiring thing attached; then screwed it on to the pickguard with the regular harnessing screws...it'd at least look kind of tech-y and unique. The width of the harnessing screws would just need to match up in width to our Teles on just one side. That I would do, only $25...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 224
veets987 said:
well it appears one of the coils is dead on the bridge pickup so am going to have to send it back and get it replaced.  It sucks since the builder is in the UK so who knows how long it will take...

Shit, sorry to hear that. When I'd asked him about the Reissue Upgrade it was going to take him 3-4 weeks. That is a slightly lengthier process so who knows. I've only heard about good work from the guy. If he covered shipping one way, which he should, I'd expedite it to him that way you could variably cut the time in half :/

BobbyJohnson said:
veets987 said:

shite, sorry to hear that. When I'd asked him about the Reissue Upgrade it was going to take him 3-4 weeks. That is a slightly lengthier process so who knows. I've only heard about good work from the guy. If he covered shipping one way, which he should, I'd expedite it to him that way you could variably cut the time in half :/

Yea Jaime has been great so far with communicating.  I shot him a email and waiting to hear back on what to do next.  It sucks because i got these pickups back in October.  I just got married and the wife is now prego so haven't had much time until recently to get it wired up.  Im anxious to get this guitar working! lol

Ugh...yeah I know the feeling. As if there isn't enough going on already, waiting for awesome presents in the mail...suddenly have the patience of a real problem child.

Anyway, hope you hear back with some helpful news. Update us at some point as now I'm curious too.

Back