Planning my first build, Baritone Jazzcaster, questions inside!

Dayviewer

Hey everyone!

New guy here, quick introduction  :hello2:
I'm a 26 year old Dutch guy, and I have been playing guitar for 10 years now.
I mostly play modern rock/metal, the first few years I've been doing that with Ibanez/PRS guitars but eventually I just fell in love with the playability of Fender style guitars.
I currently just own a modded Mex. Tele, but I am still wanting something for lower tunings with humbuckers  :icon_biggrin:
As there hasn't been many production models (well, barely anything) which I can still find or have a good base that I can start from, I decided to go with a Warmoth build.

So I wanna do a Baritone Jazzcaster with a chambered body, Fender locking tuners, and a set of Bareknuckle Pickups (still have to decide which set, but it's most likely going to be Juggernauts)
Here's a mockup I made with help from the builder, and the specs of the body/neck and hardware I'm looking to order:

Mockup.png
Body_Hardwarew.png
neck.png

The style of music I'm looking to play with this can mostly be compared to Breaking Benjamin/Sevendust/Devin Townsend/Periphery, most of the low tuned stuff that get's both heavy and melodic, lot's of use of cleans too.

Now my basic first question, would all this work together?  :laughing11: I think it should haha, but please let me know if I'm doing something wrong here!
Regarding the tuners, I'm looking to get these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_locking_tuning_machine_vintage.htm
Would these fit with the holes on the headstock? (11/32)
And next is if the covered pickups would fit in the bridge and the pickguard.
For both of these I'm pretty sure I should be good but I just wanna be sure here haha.
Also is the Earvana nut a good recommendation for a baritone? I would like to try it but I'm not sure if it's really like a huge difference.
Any other advice or thoughts would be massively appreciated!

Anyway, thanks in advance!  :glasses10:

That looks supercool.

When it comes to tuner holes, I believe you need to go with the Schaller dimension (25/64"). The vintage hole dimension will be to small for these Fender tuners (those are probably made by Schaller or Gotoh or some such company, I believe).

And if it were me, I wouldn't go with the Earvana nut. I had that on my first Warmoth neck, and I found it made tuning and intonation worse. Not better. I actually ordered a second neck just to get rid of the problem nut.

Satin apricot flake?! Can't wait to see that.

As Logrinn said, those tuners won't fit the 11/32 tuner ream. Personally, I wouldn't use any pegs that have hidden locating pins like those Fender-branded Schallers or Sperzels as they're annoying to fit. (Unless you get the latter in the 'EZ-mount' version.) If for some reason you specifically want the vintage size holes, you can get modern Hipshot lockers that will fit, or Gotoh make some that look vintage but also lock.

The covered humbuckers should fit bridge and pickguard ok.

Swap the 'Tele input cup' for pretty much any other type - square/football/electrosocket* will all fit - as they're an example of 50s design that have stood the test of time for no good reason whatsoever.

I wouldn't bother with an Earvana nut either, but that's just my personal preference.

Otherwise, all looks good.

*If you're a picky type, the electrosockets (and Tele cups) will not follow the curve of the body, so will stick out a bit at the sides.

Welcome to the forum. A baritone Jazzcaster is a cool idea. It should look great. Will one of those football shaped side jack plates will fit the curve of the body? Looking forward to seeing this go together.

Thanks guys!  :eek:ccasion14: Looks like I'm not going with the Earvana nut then haha.

Concerning the tuners, I currently have a set of locking tuners in my Mex. Tele, I like those but I'm not sure anymore which set it exactly is :laughing3:
It's quite hard to see the difference.
Because there's another set too which practically looks the same: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_schaller_locking_tuner_ch.htm

Here's what I have on my Tele:
Photo_20_05_2018_20_19_41.jpg

Regarding the socket, might just get the whole drilled and then see what fits best?  :laughing3:
I'd prefer a tele input cup visually but something like a football plate would be absolutely fine too of course

Fat Pete said:
Satin apricot flake?! Can't wait to see that.
There was a body with that on the shop a while back, had me sold instantly haha.

The Earvana nut works well on a standard 25.5 scale. For Logrinns 24" scale guitars or a Baritone, I think the compensation would be off and therefore for those scales a standard nut would be a safer choice.

Welkom op het forum!

Just placed my order at Warmoth! thanks for all the help everyone  :icon_biggrin:
I went with a solid body after all and the standard nut.
Can't wait for it all to get here, aah!
I'll be posting pictures as soon as the stuff arrives ;)

Back