Pimpin out...

Jigsisme said:
How many of you think its fun to "fix up" low buck guitars with high dollar parts?

I've certainly done it numerous times for people. If the thing is nominally playable, over time you can nickel-dime a fairly ragged piece into something that won't fight you tooth, fang and claw. Better tuners, properly cut nut, a decent fret job, different pickups, etc. $50 here, $100 there is a lot easier than dropping $800-$1200 all at once on something done properly in the first place.

I don't know if I'd call it "fun", though. It can be frustrating and disappointing sometimes. For instance, installing a nice set of locking tuners doesn't help much with a crummy nut or an inconsistent bridge. But, patience pays. Eventually you get there. Thing to keep in mind is nothing you do will increase the value of the instrument, so you have to be dedicated to playing it.

Jigsisme said:
How many of you think its fun to "fix up" low buck guitars with high dollar parts?

I have tried it. Bought a Warmoth neck to upgrade a cheap Strat knockoff. Ended up buying a Warmoth body and starting a high quality, no cheap parts build. Which was way more fun than tinkering with the cheap thing actually.

I was just thinking about this.  I ran across some cheap bodies at guitarfetish.com.  Look under their Factory Buyout and Clearance Sale tab.  You can get a body and neck for about $60.  I was thinking of experimenting with this as a platform to try some things out, like a sustainer.  But then I started adding the price up in my head.  A few hundred for the electronics, about a hunderd for a good tremolo, another couple hundred for all the "other parts" (tuners, nut, etc.).

But then I figured, I could be fighting the platform all along and not know if my iconcept was bad or the platform.  And like said earlier, I'd have a guitar that was worth much less than  the parts I put on it.

I think I might stick with Warmoth bodies and necks and I know the platfrom will be very good to start with.

I have a GFS body, it's no Warmoth, but it works.  If I would have had the $$ at the time, I would have ordered a Warmoth.

Unfortunately it's not even a GFS body.  They bought some other factory's mistakes.  They are all stratched and dented, beat up etc.  No guarentee at all. 

Back