Phase 90 vs Small Stone

jalbertochavez

I'm thinkin' of gettin' a phase pedal 'cause I've never had one and am lookin' for a new gadget to play around with. I've narrowed it down to the MXR Phase 90 and the Electro Harmonix Small Stone. I'm gonna check 'em out in person some time after work this week, but until then what do y'all think of them? Anything y'all do/don't recommend about them? Let me know what up.  :help:

:rock-on:

The Small Stone sounds very nice, but I've always thought the build quality a bit poor.

The Phase 90 sounds even better and is built like a (very small) tank!

I vote for the MXR  :rock-on:

The Small Stone has more "color" to it's phasing effect, but the MXR is a good deal quieter and better made.

I got the EVH Phase 90 and love it - it's basically the script and non-script versions in one pedal.  Not sure if it was worth the extra over just the script, however.

Thanks for all the info so far. Let me also ask this then, which of these 2 pedals do y'all think sounds better with high gain or distortion pedals? I see all the nods for the Phase 90 and to be honest I was already leaning towards it, but from what I've seen in reviews (and I know not to take reviews too seriously) is that the Phase 90 seems to sound thin when distorted. I started to consider the Small Stone 'cause I got to thinkin' that maybe it wouldn't sound as thin. I guess I'll see when I try 'em out. Until then, what do y'all think?  :help:

Hopefully you have some place like Guitar Center where you can check both out in conjunction with the other effects in your chain; only way to tell for sure

Just to give y'all some closure, I went with the Phase 90. I put it before my distortion pedal and it sounds bad @$$.  :headbang1:

Now to find the right Flanger. I'm already leaning toward the MXR Flanger, the regular one, not EVH.

the EVH flanger is it, don't be fooled.  The preset "EVH" button gives you a cool quick change.  All the MXR stuff is great, I have the chours and I'm looking into the smart gate and new delay.  Built like a tank is right.  I have the Dunlop DC brick too.  Real handy for the Flanger /Chorus that are both 18 volt.  7x9volt output + 3x18 volt!!!

thumb55 said:
the EVH flanger is it, don't be fooled.  The preset "EVH" button gives you a cool quick change.  All the MXR stuff is great, I have the chours and I'm looking into the smart gate and new delay.  Built like a tank is right.  I have the Dunlop DC brick too.  Real handy for the Flanger /Chorus that are both 18 volt.  7x9volt output + 3x18 volt!!!

I hear you on the Dunlop DC brick. I have one & it has been a godsend. To be honest, the DC brick is the reason I'm favoring the MXR Flanger over the BF-3 right now 'cause I've got all my 9V spaces filled and haven't touched any of my 18V spaces. I *might* be makin' a trip to Guitar Center today so I'll make it a point to compare 'em.

:rock-on:  :party07:

Back