Bass VI style Fretless, with Sustainiac

amigarobbo

This is very much in prototype planning stage, I don't need it, and this will definitly be the last guitar/bass build I do.

:icon_biggrin:

Here's the Plan, well, a fretless Bass VI with a Sustainiac. For all your ambient electro-cello needs! It's sorta based on my Sustainiac Ziggycaster, which Is great for wibbly wobble ambient/Alien Flying Saucer Attack noises* and I was thinking of getting a fretless neck for that, the problem of fretless guitars is the lack of sustain on the skinny strings, but on second thoughts it's going to be too much work to swap them back and fourth what with the pickup height Floyd Rose and all that, and I also like fretless basses, so to kill 2 birds with one stone, a fretless Bass VI!

Even with bass strings I can still stick a capo on the 12, err... fret, and get a short scale fretless guitar, sorta. and the world's my oyster for baritone options.

I've got access to a Fender Pawn shop one, and I think I can cope with the tight string spacing, and If I was to go for a 5/6 string bass, I'd be more tempted to get a high C these days.

Pickups will be two Creamery Lead Bass VI pickups with the Sustainiac in the neck position, controls will be a 4 way switches, 3 to turn the pickups on, with the final one to turn Sustainer on, and a small rotary control for type of sustain next to it.

I was thinking of a standard looking, but non-trem system, a fixed Mastery bridge with a non-wobble plate from Faction Guitars https://store.factionguitars.com/collections/bass-vi-plates/products/bass-vi-hardtail-plate. Maybe.

I was thinking a dark, rich colour like purple or Turquoise, something, well, psychedelic. But I'm thinking Shell Pink in Satin,  :icon_thumright:

p1_uzwpzcmpt_ss.jpg

Very early days on this one, but I've been bothering Sovereign_13's thread for too long. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29219.0

* Both the group, and the real thing.

I think a light body, the shell pink or another similar color, will do it the most justice. Do the dark with tone.

I'm glad someone is getting a guitar out of my build thread, since I haven't had a chance to get back on that project in awhile.  :laughing7:  Be curious to see who gets done first.

I'm definitely looking forward to further developments on this build, I love the idea!

Once completed, channeling your inner Ted Nugent for feedback sustained lead lines over "Big Bottom" will rip it a new one!

Things are a movin'! Slowly.

As far as I know, it's only one guy making Sustainiac so as I'm building them in bits I thought I'd buy  that one first, cuz... err..  Hmm..  :evil4:

So here's the plan for the controls:

image_10.jpg

One of the switches to turn in on, and a pot to control the amount and type of Sustain, full Clockwise full root, full anticlockwise full octave sustain, middle is 'off'. Pull it out and it gives you 2 different sets of overtones.

Here's where it will live:

screen10.png

red for the unit, blue for the battery, will need someone to get their chisel out for the control unit.

But this is everything I've got for it now:

img_3016.jpg

:toothy11:

conrol  :doh:

I'm also going more towards the satin shell pink, I'm thinking of a white pearoid pickguard and, shock horror, white pearoid neck binding.

I'm also leaning towards Bloodwood over ebony as the fingerboard too. I'm still think if I want the wang-o-bar,  :icon_scratch:

How thick is the neck binding will it reduce the usable fretboard fingerboard size much?

No. The frets run to the edge as usual, so there's no difference in playing surface.

Slight update; I've been looking into this, the frets go all the way to the edge, so on a fretted instrument it good, but I'm not sure about a fretless, especially one with such a redonklusly tight string spacing like a VI.

uscgbassvi70.jpg

It does look like the E strings are a bit close to the binding,  :-\

I now haz the saddles.  Staytrem are back making them again, http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Page__Category3

9.5" bridge radius 10" neck radius,  :eek:ccasion14:

the Sustainiac is the post.

I definitely thinking of going for satin shell pink, maybe with a bloodwood fretboard fingerboard.

I know it'll fade, but I actually quite like that maroon brown it goes to

bloodwood1.jpg

Other examples show a really dark brown with almost no red, which isn't as nice, but it's pefectly acceptable, and bloodwood is still harder than Indian rosewood, perfect for a fretless.

bloodwood2.jpg

I've only done a few Bloodwoods, but I like to call it a "red Ebony". Very dense and hard. Heavy for a full neck, but you probably wouldn't notice it for a fretboard.

Does anyone know which Thimbles/bridge posts fits on the Bass VI body? Are these the right ones?

Fender Part #: 005-4447-049

Package of two vintage-style "thimble" bridge posts. Nickel-plated steel construction.Ê Posts fit into the holes bored into the body of an American Vintage Jazzmaster or Jaguar. Fits American Vintage Series Jaguar and Jazzmaster guitars. Will not fit import models. Outside Diameter: .353" (8.97 mm), Inside Diameter: .316" (8.3 mm).

Actually, I know with a bit of work all types will fit, but I'm kinda lazy I might as well get the right ones :turtle:

amigarobbo said:

I've been looking at this,

barito10.jpg

The Warmoth bass VI looks quite different to the Fender, more like a Jaguar with a Baritone/long neck.

There also this eBay auction for a rather nice Warmoth VI,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tone-Bakery-Warmoth-Bass-VI-with-Creamery-Pickups-New-JRR-Shop/202426899157

I'll attach the pictures just in case it gets sold and I need to see them again, and err. for your delectation.

So this raises a couple of points, should I go for strat style output jack and move the Sustainiac control, Volume, tone controls away from the pointy end?

Or a side connector?

Hmm, decisions, decisions!

I believe this what people call First World Problems.  :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 10
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
I like the strat-style jack, because I can sit on the couch and play guitar more comfortably, but I like the aesthetics of the side-jack better.  The non-strat style top-mount is more traditional, but I'd only use it with a 90 degree plug.  The idea of building a Fender VI keeps haunting me...please proceed with this build! (I know you're working on the XII build as well...I feel the same way about that one!  :icon_thumright:

That VI looks great ... but finish the XII!  I'm dying to see how that one turns out. 

Back