Personal update on my goings on- Best Buy Musical Instruments

What I have read in this Thread gives me the imprerssion that firstly, Savas, a poster of some 600+ posts to this forum, gets online and touches base with us, and is kind enough to expand on his personal life and let people know he is involved in a business that we may have an interest in.

Then half way through the first page, a new forumite gets on and basically calls him an idiot for allegedly not knowing who the corporate owners are of the business he works for. Then someone corrects the new guy......

Has anyone heard of manners?  :doh:

I'd think it would be darned polite and diplomatic if some folks sat on their hands a while, rather than rush to type away and have a go at someone who is obviously very enthused about a job he likes. SO WHAT if there's a commonality of stockholding amongst the two businesses that were mentioned! They seem to be operating independently of each other don't they?

pabloman said:
What's with the personal attacks? It must be your defense mechanism when you start to feel on the short end of the intellectual stick. I really don't care enough about this topic to care about doing research and start name calling. I will however defend myself. Am I speaking in broken english? What the hell would make you question my first language other than my screen name you racist f*ck? What exactly is so idiotic? The fact that I'm making a statement that YOU can't research? Marty Albertson explained to me that Bain Capital was a majority shareholder of BB. Why in the world would you use wikipedia to back up your ramblings? Check that link again and read the history. Anyway I'm done with the whole BB GC thing. However I will continue to personally defend myself. You shouldn't throw chingasos cause I'll f*ck you up boy. You can PM me or email me and we could chat without the restrictions of the forum. Just let me know biotch.

internet arguments are the best  :doh: uhh....back to GC, its kinda pathetic that a guitar on their wall that's "new" is missing the knobs and has a broken toggle and has a chip here or there....but thats just my opinion. i think its cool that BB has a music section now, hopefully they conduct themselves with more decorum than GC. but thankfully, theres always the local mom & pop shop....for now anyways

wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. calm down everyone.

1) we are competitive as hell with guitar center.

2) the GC here sucks. their people skills are terrible. "hey can i get this guitar?" "no you want this one." "i've done my research and have been playing a billion guitars. i want this one." "no. you want this one." *actually happened to me*

3) no one is bashing BigBeard :p but thanks bud

4) i just wanted to let you guys know about any deals, kind of a "hey insider info that i know you guys will be interested in"

5) dNA, PLEASE stop by! that would be totally awesome to meet a warmothite or whatever we are called!!! plus you can see our awesome store!!!

6) yes, i am very proud to be working with Best Buy, it's a wonderful company with wonderful management!

smavridis said:
2) the GC here sucks. their people skills are terrible. "hey can i get this guitar?" "no you want this one." "i've done my research and have been playing a billion guitars. i want this one." "no. you want this one." *actually happened to me*
This.  This is why I don't shop there unless it's for strings or picks or something menial and other places are closed.

I tried to get a recording interface from GC, went in on two separate occasions with a particular thing in mind, and they tried to sell me something else (a different thing each time, too).  So I bought it online and was way happier because I got what I wanted, not what they wanted to sell me.

smavridis said:
4) i just wanted to let you guys know about any deals, kind of a "hey insider info that i know you guys will be interested in"

ah ok, well let me know when their website will be accepting multiple coupons!

We've got  a best buy here in the Portland area that has a real nice selection of guitars and amps, in a dedicated room. they did a nice job building and stocking it, and seem to have hired knowledgeable people to run it.

As far as coupons Marko, why don't you keep track of that yourself. I for one appreciate smavridis posting this thread for the good of all here.

Max said:
I hope nobody thinks I actually shred  :laughing7:

I thought you were a reasonable cook Max? Don't you use one of these?  :tard:
746164.jpg

:icon_jokercolor:

Good lord are people getting cranky lately. I'll just agree with Pete - always exercise good manners, especially if you are new.

On topic: Good to hear from you again smavridis! It's great having a good job you like, isnt it? :icon_thumright:

Alfang said:
As far as coupons Marko, why don't you keep track of that yourself. I for one appreciate smavridis posting this thread for the good of all here.

It was a joke and reference to the Guitar Center glitch

I for one, blah blah blah. Tell us some more about your job smardyvardus. Do yous guys carry all the accessories? Can I find my ernie ball strings at a best buy now?

pabloman said:
take a little longer to check. i worked at gc when bain bought them. everything changed over from the way we clocked in to the way we got paid. comission went away to regular hourly pay. check best buys website for instruments. it's the same as GC. Check out what bain does. they really arent a traditonal owner. they buy out companies and flip them. GC will be back to the public too.

Regardless of the similarities between the web sites, as of 31 March, Bain was not even a major institutional shareholder (holding more than 1% in BBY shares) let alone the "owner" of Best Buy.  Bain did invest over $400 million into Gome, China's equivalent of Best Buy last year.

There has to be another explanation for the similarity between the two websites.  Perhaps the same web designer did both or Best Buy modeled their web site off of GC.

Max said:
Many websites share very similar formats. If they find something that works, they'll use it.

Or they bought their back end from the same place, givining the sites much the same structure.

kboman said:
Good lord are people getting cranky lately. I'll just agree with Pete - always exercise good manners, especially if you are new.

On topic: Good to hear from you again smavridis! It's great having a good job you like, isnt it? :icon_thumright:

yeah man, you guys helped me out loads! i might as well let you all know whats up :) and yes, its great to say "hey, i get to go to work today!" instead of "ugh. i have to go to work today.". the guys i work with are awesome too! they are really good friends of mine now. the way best buy hires people is through a personality test. basically everyone is the same person. it makes for great chemistry in the work place :)

Luke said:
I for one, blah blah blah. Tell us some more about your job smardyvardus. Do yous guys carry all the accessories? Can I find my ernie ball strings at a best buy now?

well basically i am the "luthier". i have already done a refret, a few MAJOR electronics replacements with crazy switches and such, and i repaired a broken gibson songbird neck! that one is my favorite. i have a story to share with you guys about that one! something i realized though is how terrible gibson's corporate big wigs or whatever are when it comes to certain things. you'll understand when i share the story. but yes soon you will find ernie balls at all best buys! there are two different MI departments. there is the MI store-within-a-store, the actual sectioned off place with a wall of guitars and acoustic room, drum room, and amp room (which is just such a place where i work) and then there is the MI Core, which will be in all BB's. the ones in operation right now sell the low end packages and some accessories, like ernie balls.

pabloman said:
What's with the personal attacks? It must be your defense mechanism when you start to feel on the short end of the intellectual stick. I really don't care enough about this topic to care about doing research and start name calling. I will however defend myself. Am I speaking in broken english? What the hell would make you question my first language other than my screen name you racist f*ck? What exactly is so idiotic? The fact that I'm making a statement that YOU can't research? Marty Albertson explained to me that Bain Capital was a majority shareholder of BB. Why in the world would you use wikipedia to back up your ramblings? Check that link again and read the history. Anyway I'm done with the whole BB GC thing. However I will continue to personally defend myself. You shouldn't throw chingasos cause I'll f*ck you up boy. You can PM me or email me and we could chat without the restrictions of the forum. Just let me know biotch.

man, chill out, no-body is here to bash your intellectually superiornessity, anyone here can admitt when they are wrong, (something you might learn from these guys...) You have probably just proved the topic posters point that you and your said company is full of... look at that, almost had me getting into a immature rant about?? wait... no-one gives a rats a$$ awell, time to talk about something good, like guitars.

Dude I said I was done with it. What more can I do? I did say I would defend myself though. Anyway, thanks for your 2 cents. BTW it's not my company cool guy.

smavridis said:
kboman said:

yeah man, you guys helped me out loads! i might as well let you all know whats up :) and yes, its great to say "hey, i get to go to work today!" instead of "ugh. i have to go to work today.". the guys i work with are awesome too! they are really good friends of mine now. the way best buy hires people is through a personality test. basically everyone is the same person. it makes for great chemistry in the work place :)

Luke said:

well basically i am the "luthier". i have already done a refret, a few MAJOR electronics replacements with crazy switches and such, and i repaired a broken gibson songbird neck! that one is my favorite. i have a story to share with you guys about that one! something i realized though is how terrible gibson's corporate big wigs or whatever are when it comes to certain things. you'll understand when i share the story. but yes soon you will find ernie balls at all best buys! there are two different MI departments. there is the MI store-within-a-store, the actual sectioned off place with a wall of guitars and acoustic room, drum room, and amp room (which is just such a place where i work) and then there is the MI Core, which will be in all BB's. the ones in operation right now sell the low end packages and some accessories, like ernie balls.

Congrats to you.  You're learning and putting to use skills that will last you a lifetime.

fine. im bored anyway i might as well type :p

ok so we opened up in october. the end of october. for the two weeks prior to opening we were busy setting guitars up for the wall and putting amps here and there and putting up the accessories and such. well one of the last things we had to do was the acoustic room. so we got our shipment of acoustic (grandspas) guitars and they got inspected and put up on the wall. i wasnt there that day. fast forward 5 months and i go into the warehouse for some stock thing and lo and behold there is this nice big jumbo acoustic case in the far back corner, untouched and never seen by me before. i take it to my manager open it and say "hey whats this doing back there?" and he laughs and tells me to look at the headstock. this is what i saw.

IMG00601-20100525-1900.jpg

so it sells for low 2000s and store price is like 1600. apparently when the guitar came in that day in october, the MI supervisor called gibson and they wouldnt handle it saying it was our fault. we got it off the truck like that for christsake! the store manager then called and they still said no. so they were going to junk it but i was like. NO! i can fix!!! so i fix. and it plays wonderfully. from five feet away looking at it from the front it looks perfect! we are going to sell it to an associate, its not getting sold to a customer unless they were willing to pay like $800. which to me, isnt that bad. i did a good job if i do say so myself.

IMG00616-20100528-1817.jpg

IMG00617-20100528-1817.jpg

but i was really disappointed when gibby didnt help us out at all. it came from the factory busted! i mean wtf? it was in it's case and it was busted! assholes.

whaddaya guys think?

Back