Passive bass to active questions

mark1178

Ok so I have this Samick MM knock off bass that has a volume, tone, and coil splitter and I'm wanting to convert it to an active bass to get more tones out of it. It has a MM style humbucker on it and I want to know if I would also need to change that pickup out if I get a pre-wired bass preamp from eBay. I'm going on the cheap here so I've been looking at those 10-40 dollars preamps on eBay.
Thanks!

If you want to use your existing pickup, the preamps for those are basically just "power boosters". It doesn't really create what's commonly known as "active" pickup system, even though it is powered. So, you're not going to get a batch of new tones beyond what an over-driven version of what you have will provide. It's still a high-impedance system.

Traditional "active" systems use low-impedance pickups and it's a different sort of preamp. They have the benefit of being essentially noiseless, but they're also not known for providing a bunch of tones so much as either a different or quieter tone. Costs more, as you have to buy a "system" as opposed to some component part to make the change.

If tonal variety is what you're looking for, you might want to look into Bill Lawrence's "Q-Filter" device. It goes in place of the capacitor in a standard guitar/bass tone circuit, and has a couple advantages to it. One, you get a very wide variety in tone control as it basically does low and high pass filtering while a typical control is just a high-pass. Two, it doesn't require power.

I don't have any experience with them, but from what I've read they're pretty interesting devices. You can modify their behavior by adding external caps/resistors to get different curves. Since there's an inductor involved, it can actually cut bass freqs, which most tone controls won't, so you can play games with midrange tones that most fiddles don't provide for.

Cagey said:
a typical control is just a high-pass.

Which control do you mean? A normal guitar tone circuit is a first order, RC type, low pass filter. Is it different in a bass?

99% of preamps don't care what you feed into them, as long as the output impedance is appropriate. (I.e. no piezo elements driving a 1M Ohms input, etc.) There is no need to change pickups.

I'll just throw this one up for a suggestion....
EMG BTC Control.
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories/bass-eq-active/btccontrol.html#info

It will accept passive pickups as you have. You can keep the coil splitter control so long as the splitting occurs pre this Control & the Volume.

While these are $89-99 new maybe you can source one used for much less?

Passive pickups would go into this (concentric pot with +/- 12 dB for Bass & Treble with DIP switches for adjustable EQ curve) then onto Volume. You'd need to get a 25K volume pot & a stereo jack & battery.

The beauty is with the two pots adjusting treble & bass EQs is that it would offer more variety of tonal shifts than say a preamp with a preset EQ curve/boost.

As I said, it's just a suggestion YMMV of course.  :icon_thumright:

mark1178 said:
I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!

As it happens, I had a Hadean guitar from Rondo in here yesterday for some neck work. Lovely piece of gear. Was no PRS 10-top, but I sure wouldn't kick it out for eating crackers in bed. I barely had to do anything to it. Not the first time I've been pleasantly surprised by Rondo's offerings, let alone amazed. I don't know how they do it. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed if you picked up one of the units you're looking at. You'll probably have to replace the electricals at some point in the near future, but it's tough to fault the physical plant out of the box.

I'll throw in a mention of the Stellar Tone Styler, which is a passive tone. . . thingie.  You can read the copy, but it's a rotary tone knob with multiple capacitors instead of a linear roll off knob tied to one capacitor.  YMMV to the max, but I love it.  My main bass has no volume control, nothing but the Tonestyler between the pickup & jack; I can make a LOT of different sounds with 10 different positions on that one knob.

I've heard lovely things about the Rondo stuff from many places, so that's not a terrible option. But if you're wanting to tweak what you already have & like, I'd say mod your current bass.

Cagey said:
Traditional "active" systems use low-impedance pickups and it's a different sort of preamp.

Huh? 90% of the time, when people speak of "active" systems, they are referring to passive pickups fed into a preamp. True active pickups are somewhat of a rarity, and generally limited to EMG, MEC and a couple of other companies. Furthermore, of the active pickups on the market, most of them have high impedance windings and rely on their buffers to lower output impedance. True low impedance coil windings are rarer still.

Back