ONE piece solid KOA electric guitar. Has anyone made one?

What hardware are you planning for this rear rout?

Will the pickups be direct mounted?

Hardware: I haven't decided yet, but I'll go gold plating all the way here. I normally am not a fan of gold plating on guitars, but this one begs for it. I will likely use either the Wudtone CP vintage, or Halon Strat bridge. I have one more 1 pc solid koa body coming on Friday that is routed for H-S-H, and will likely put a Vega Trem on that. I'll also use Freeway 10-way blade switch, electrosocket cup and Qijack for the jack.

Yes, the plan is to direct mount the pups. I need to pick up a drill press for that operation, because last time I tried to install the threaded inserts, they got cocked, and it made a mess of that project...

Look forward to seeing it come together. Koa seems to look best either with gold or black hardware and pickup combos.

Hardware: I haven't decided yet, but I'll go gold plating all the way here. I normally am not a fan of gold plating on guitars, but this one begs for it. I will likely use either the Wudtone CP vintage, or Halon Strat bridge. I have one more 1 pc solid koa body coming on Friday that is routed for H-S-H, and will likely put a Vega Trem on that. I'll also use Freeway 10-way blade switch, electrosocket cup and Qijack for the jack.

Yes, the plan is to direct mount the pups. I need to pick up a drill press for that operation, because last time I tried to install the threaded inserts, they got cocked, and it made a mess of that project...
I feel exactly the same regarding gold hardware. The only guitar of mine that I got gold hardware for is my koa-topped roasted swamp ash Soloist project, because like you said, "it begs for it". The gold goes really well with the natural wood finish.

Add me to Team Gold Koa too. I've got a koa over mahogany body on order, and gold hardware seemed like an obvious choice. I'm a chrome kind of guy by default. I'd only use gold in very specific situations.

ChrisVH, do I understand that you bought the body blank on your own, but got Warmoth to route the body? I didn't even know that was possible.

Add me to Team Gold Koa too. I've got a koa over mahogany body on order, and gold hardware seemed like an obvious choice. I'm a chrome kind of guy by default. I'd only use gold in very specific situations.

ChrisVH, do I understand that you bought the body blank on your own, but got Warmoth to route the body? I didn't even know that was possible.
My usual spec is to use nickel plating, so this will be the only guitar I own with gold plating. I DID own a '76 Limited Edition Explorer years ago with gold hardware, but foolishly sold that in the mid 90's after a buddy who was much better at playing than me made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was really a drummer at the time, who just dabbled in guitar, and got the Explorer in lieu of a debt owed to me.

Yes, I was able to find a blank myself, and then sent in to Warmoth to make all the sawdust. However, note that this was under a waiver that if anything went 'sideways' on this... I accepted all the risk. The 2nd piece of Koa, routed for H - S - H will be here today :)

Last edited:
I got lucky and was able to acquire a solid billet of quartersawn 'unicorn grade' flamed koa that is large enough for a 1 pc strat or tele. I will be sending off to have shaped and readied for me to finish later this week. Just curious if anyone here has made SOLID body Koa S or T style, and what their experience has been with that? I know koa can be quite heavy, but that doesn't bother me, since I don't gig out, and usually play sitting down. When searching the interwebs, I couldn't find much for references to solid body koa electrics... only those made with koa tops, and curious if this is due to weight, cost, or something else? T.I.A.
Solid lefty curly koa from Warmoth circa ‘83.

Attachments

• Koa front Small.jpeg
    Koa front Small.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2433.jpeg
    IMG_2433.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 15
Back