Okay to completely strip the wire?

exalted

I have two DiMarzio pickups (nothing fancy), and I'm trying to install them into the used Warmoth body I just got. However, the hole they need to go through is very, very tiny (and due to the way the control cavity is routed, I think I have to send the signal wire back through the same hole).

There's absolutely no way all the wires will fit with the thick black shielding around the five smaller wires. Is it okay to take all the black encasing off?

It should be fine to strip off the outer black insulation, leaving the foil screen intact.
There are four insulated, colour coded wires, plus one bare earth wire inside.
As long as you don't damage these, there should be no problem.

It would probably be best to strip an inch or so of the outer black insulation off at a time...
That way you would be less likely to damage the inner wires.

Even if you damage the foil screen, it will still be ok :)
Take your time with this one!

My drill is pretty terrible...but I may do it anyway.

Or maybe I'll just run wires from the switches through to the pickup cavity? I mean, since the lead wires will have to go back through anyway...

body_front.jpg

body_back.jpg

As you can see, the switches are in their own (very tiny) cavity. No matter what I do, I don't have much room to work with. I don't even know what to do with all the excess pickup wiring! It's way too long for this guitar.

You can just cut off all the excess wire length. Leave plenty slack in case you want to do something different or put them in a different guitar later, but you can cut the rest off.

I don't know, I'm really kind of scared to do that. It seems so permanent!

If I did cut the excess wire and later needed more, would there be a problem with just soldering some extra wire onto it?

Nope, no real issues with splicing a new lead on to the existing.  It only gets hairy when you have to do it back at the pickup terminal.

I wouldn't shorten the wire length if you don't have to, of course you can splice more on later, but theres no splice out there as good as no splice. I'd leave the outer plastic cover alone as well.

I also agree to drilling a larger hole

I love the color of your guitar

Thanks! Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is.

I bought this warmoth on ebay. The guy said he had it custom done locally (he's from NY).

Under low light, the guitar looks like plain gray, almost the exact same color as my car, but under moderate light it gets a nice sparkle, and under bright light it gets almost a multi-color sparkle.

It's a very interesting finish. Much better than I anticipated (I only bought the body cause it was cheap and I need a guitar while I wait for my 'main' warmoth).

With all that money you saved on Ebay, get a better drill....  :redflag: if you're heading down the slippery slope, you'll need it anyway  :toothy12: and bad tools cause (entirely justifiable yet entirely avoidable) fear. Tools MATTER... I can't figure it out when someone is on their "fourth Warmoth" or something and they still don't have a straightedge or calipers or a multimeter... life can be easy or hard - wood isn't supposed to be  :eek: SCARY.... :eek:

Back